Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC
Steffen,
The tail does indeed look so much better then the original parts.
Joel
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:09 PM UTC
Thank you Joel!

Well, yesterday i spent the day fgitting the nose to the rest of the airframe. This was not really easy but due to all the optimizations I am not sure if this is a fault of teh kit or a result of the changes.

The cockpit looks o.k. now. It will be difficult to fit the glass armour and the vac canopy so sadly this kit has no chance to make it for Telford.

Still the completion of the airframe is a major step to get this thing finished (at all)...

So far I am quite pleased with my model, though it was a bumpy ride on the Bronco (kit).

all the best

Steffen
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:22 AM UTC
Steffen,
Your battle with the nose section certainly was worth the effort. The fit looks really quite good. Can't wait to see it with some primer on it.

Joel
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:23 PM UTC
Thank you Joel!! Your encouragement is most welcome! Actually there is already a layer of primer on, but the glue removed some of it.

I have put this on hold to have a chance to finish the Butcher Bird for Telford.

all the best

Steffen
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:21 PM UTC
Nice. Your efforts are going to pay of in the end by the looks of it. Keep at it.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:38 AM UTC
Nice job Steffen

One point I'd watch out for is the colour of the glazed areas behind the cockpit. I know it's often been a subject of controversy, but period shots of Flying Tigers P-40s do show the exterior camouflage extended across the area, not Interior Green. There's a nice clear example among RT Smith's photos:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Smith#/media/File:Flying_tigers_pilot.jpg

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks mate, that is a very good hint!

There is a colour in flight photo of Olders machine (lhs and very large) on the same wiki page and while it is not as clear as on rhs photo you linked it definitely is not interior green. It also shows the head rest is brown!

@Marc: thanks for taking the time to comment! I need every motivation I can get for this project .. shall get the ordered Airfix kit this weekend at Telford (and probably buy another one or two)

all the best

Steffen
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....One point I'd watch out for is the colour of the glazed areas behind the cockpit. I know it's often been a subject of controversy, but period shots of Flying Tigers P-40s do show the exterior camouflage extended across the area, not Interior Green. There's a nice clear example among RT Smith's photos:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Smith#/media/File:Flying_tigers_pilot.jpg

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
I've never seen that photo, which clearly show the camo pattern running under the window. While I'm not planning on building a P-40B any time soon, I've saved the picture for future reference.
Joel
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 06:59 AM UTC
Gents,

You have all convinced me that my next 148 long-nose P-40 will be Airfix's. I think I have Trumpy's and may build it as "the hawk in the hand" verses a better one to be bought. Or maybe I'll just put some gizmology into Monograms.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 05:32 PM UTC
Fred,

I tried to avoid reading too many of the early P-40 combat threads and posts on HS (ARC probably also has a few) .. the tone got rougher over there and honestly I do not see the problem on Airfix' P-40C (pretty sure there is something but I personally do not see it).

What I have read between the lines is that the old Monogram is also fa(aaaa)r from being accurate. So better spend some bucks on the Airfix.

I bought 3 of them in Telford and actually started one just to see how it works.

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP