_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Blue Nose special Silver Ed
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:02 PM UTC
Tamiya put out a 1/48 P-51 Silver Edition of the Blue Nose Petie 2nd.

Is this kit of any special value beyond being a Tamiya kit?

I have one and want to build it but I want to know if its anything special or can I build it without worry of having ruined a collectors item or something.

There is a special personal story behind this particular plane. My cousin is married to the grandson of Lt Col John Meyers pilot of Petie 2nd. Petie was Lt Col Meyers older (or younger) brother.

I want to build this plane and send it to him as a gift. It is already all silver so I may not need to paint it at all. This may be a good or a bad thing.

Any thoughts?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya put out a 1/48 P-51 Silver Edition of the Blue Nose Petie 2nd.

Is this kit of any special value beyond being a Tamiya kit?

I have one and want to build it but I want to know if its anything special or can I build it without worry of having ruined a collectors item or something.

There is a special personal story behind this particular plane. My cousin is married to the grandson of Lt Col John Meyers pilot of Petie 2nd. Petie was Lt Col Meyers older (or younger) brother.

I want to build this plane and send it to him as a gift. It is already all silver so I may not need to paint it at all. This may be a good or a bad thing.

Any thoughts?

Juliio,
The limited edition P-51D is the same kit, 1st molded in 1995. As with their B release the decals are by Cartograf rather then in house.

As for not painting the model since it's already aluminum in color, the odds of everything fitting perfectly requiring no putty nor sanding is rather slim. Even if all the seams were flush fitting, you'd still see the glue seam lines, while paint will cover them and any putty work needed.

Joel
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 05:21 AM UTC
Youre Joel. It would have to be a perfect fit and glue would have to magically disappear.

I have the Revell 1/48 as fall back if this one proves a fail.

Its pretty cool looking though. I'll post pics of the trees soon.
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 05:25 AM UTC
Makes you wonder if the glue would melt off the silver cladding.

I cant imagine that Tamiya would produce a model that would be virtually un-buildable. At least with serious modelers.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:38 AM UTC
Dip it in a dish filled with full strength bleach for about 30 seconds. The chrome plating will disappear, leaving bare plastic behind, at which point you have a plain everyday Tamiya Mustang.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:57 PM UTC
Always, always, ALWAYS paint.

Especially now that there is such a wide array of products which are increasingly easier to use in order to obtain a natural metal finish.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Always, always, ALWAYS paint.

Especially now that there is such a wide array of products which are increasingly easier to use in order to obtain a natural metal finish.

Not to mention that much of a factory-fresh Mustang was actually painted anyway...
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:00 AM UTC
If you go the strip the chrome route you will also need to sand the mating surfaces that will be glued. At least for the major stuff like basic airframe. The plastic was given a gloss clear coat for the chrome finish. Those seams will keep popping open.
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you go the strip the chrome route you will also need to sand the mating surfaces that will be glued. At least for the major stuff like basic airframe. The plastic was given a gloss clear coat for the chrome finish. Those seams will keep popping open.

So this kit is not such a special deal? At least not for the serious modeler?
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:43 PM UTC
Tamiya P-51 kits are excellent kits in their own right. A few tweaks and it is a beautiful Mustang. I done 4 of them so far and will likely do one again some time. The chromed version was kind of a gimmick to me. I won it in a contest. I wasn't going to "not" build it. If by serious modeler you mean someone that would not build a kit without fixing seams etc., then yes I would agree this is not the kit for a serious modeler.

But if you already have the kit, getting the chrome off is easy and you'll be left with the same kit that's not chrome. If you don't, buy the regular kit and save the extra work. Is it a collector's item? Dunno.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC
Chroming a kit they've basically had in production since 1995 costs them virtually nothing. The profit is slightly less (chroming costs) then just re-releasing it once again with new decals, or in the case of the blue nose, Cartograf decals to entice us to buy yet another P-51D from them.

I really don't know any serious modelers that would even consider building it as pre-chromed. For one thing chrome looks nothing like aircraft aluminum, and two it's impossible to remove unwanted seams, or correct alignment issues as I've said before. The very nature of the molding process with their accepted tolerances, just doesn't equate to a perfect model with no issues.

I've seen and built some incredible models, but none that I can think of were ever 100% perfect.

If you already have the kit take Jessica's suggestion strip the chrome plate off, and then finish it with a metalizer paint. The end result will be worth the effort.

Joel

julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chroming a kit they've basically had in production since 1995 costs them virtually nothing. The profit is slightly less (chroming costs) then just re-releasing it once again with new decals, or in the case of the blue nose, Cartograf decals to entice us to buy yet another P-51D from them.

I really don't know any serious modelers that would even consider building it as pre-chromed. For one thing chrome looks nothing like aircraft aluminum, and two it's impossible to remove unwanted seams, or correct alignment issues as I've said before. The very nature of the molding process with their accepted tolerances, just doesn't equate to a perfect model with no issues.

I've seen and built some incredible models, but none that I can think of were ever 100% perfect.

If you already have the kit take Jessica's suggestion strip the chrome plate off, and then finish it with a metalizer paint. The end result will be worth the effort.

Joel

Darn, but it looked so cool, lol.

Going to take you guys advice. Looking forward to the build
 _GOTOTOP