_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Scribing panel lines
dsmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:55 PM UTC
I guess this is the day of questions.....Does anyone know what kind of tape you can use to help in rescribing panel lines? I know I read it somewhere in the thousands of things I read, but I have no idea where.

Thanks
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hello dsmith I haven't been here long either but in the upper left corner you see the Search Forums, click on it then write in rescribing panel lines and a whole page shows up about other people that have asked that question, give that a try, and if that doesn't answer then you might get someone else who will be able to help you. Hope this helps Straightedge
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 11:00 PM UTC
I don't know which tape people use but there is an alternative. You know the type of packaging where the item is held against a card by a clear plastic molded to hold the item? It is used a lot for kid's toys and is similar to plastic card but clear. Well I cut a strip of the plastic using a steel ruler and knife to get a straight edge and use that as a flexible ruler. The advantage of it being clear is that you can see it is aligned correctly and it is flexible enough to go round curved parts. Holding it in position either with fingers or a bit of masking tape at each end I then run the scribing tool along the edge. A couple of light passes is usually enough to get a nice panel line. And you can cut thin strips to get into awkward places.
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC
I agree with brandydoguk's method. I've just started to scribe panel lines myself and I use somehting similar to give a firmer edge than tape to act as a guide for the scribing tool. I think any tape would have a tendency to give when running a scribing tool along it.

I know other modeler's have gotten steel templates used by architects and draftsmen to act as a scribing tracing tool.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
I've heard of people using labeling tape, the kind that comes in the gun where you turn the dial and pull on the triger and it stamps the letter into the plastic strip, this tape has a sticky side that you peel off, this will stick to the plastic as you are scribing your lines, I think you can get refills without buying the gun,good luck, Wingman out.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
Can that scribing technique useful also in opening panel lines without destroying the removed part?
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
Shonen I have used a scriber to remove panels. As with all methods of cutting the panel will be a tiny bit smaller than the hole that is left as all cutting removes some material. Other than that the panel is undamaged.
antoniazzip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aragua, Venezuela
KitMaker: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi from here friend, looks at this he can help you and your you will have another reference.

[url=http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT013_Scriber/TnT013.htm

Cheers.
Leal Antoniazzi Pedro
[email protected]
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
:-) Hi Doug, I think the tape you are refering to is "Dymo tape" as wingman says it's a sticky backed labelling tape. I've used it, and it does work, but it isn't very flexable. For compound curves you need to cut it, lengthwise to make it thinner, it then losses alot of it's adhesive quality. Something like brandydogUK describes would work fine, or you can buy etched scribint templates, that'll give you a very flexible straight edge.
I am in the process of writing an article on scribing and during the process of taking pics of the techniques already described, I again found myself cursing because of how frustrating and annoying it gets, trying to position a straight edge along a compound curve. I became determined to find an easier way, and I believe I have. I wont mention it here because I would basically have to write the article, but I promise to get the piece in as soon as possible, then you can judge for yourselves. I call my method eeZee scribing, cos it is :-)
Mal :-)
 _GOTOTOP