_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Order of paint tri color camo
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC
I am building an Airfix 1:72 TBD Avenger that calls for 3 color scheme: Dark Sea blue, aircraft gray and insignia white.

I have two questions:
1. The black primer to bring out the panel details is it gloss or flat?
2, What order do I spray the color scheme, do I go from light to dark or dark to light.

Thanks, pics to follow ( I did make a cardinal mistake, there are three port holes on each side of the plane. I forgot to add the crystals for one side before gluing the fuselage half's together!! Doh! Gonna try an fix it, might be able to coax them in through the aft gun port)
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:07 PM UTC
Julio,
All primers are matt/flat unless you're using a semi gloss or gloss under a Metalizer.

My order for painting aircraft is to start with the bottom 1st. In this case it's the Navy flat white.

I generally work from lighter to darker. However, the pattern and type does play into it. It's just easier to cover the lighter color with the darker color with less paint then the other way around.

Are you sure about the med gray color?

Joel
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:30 PM UTC
Thanks Joel.

aircraft gray is the closest thing I have to the spec color. Its a small model I have had around and just wanted to complete but I am going to the hobby shop today I might pick up a different gray and the flat white.

What colors are spec for this model? The decal set has an option for the Yorktown, sea blue, ?intermediate blue? and insignia white.

My aircraft gray is on the blue side but if you know of the proper color please let me know.

Thanks!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:09 PM UTC
You could probably mix up a good enough intermediate blue from your sea blue, grey and white. It's about this colour:

An alternative to coaxing the clear parts into the openings after the fact is Microscale Krystal Klear. It's kind of like white glue. You take a drop on the end of a toothpick, rub it on all 4 sides of the opening, and then stretch a thin film of it across the opening. Once it dries, it'll be just as it says on the bottle: Crystal clear

Once you begin using it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC
As Jessica said, Krystal Kleer will work wonders especially for small windows. You might need two applications to get the "glass" to look flat rather then concave or convex defending on how it dried.

After 1942 the USN went from a 2 tone to a 3 tone paint scheme.

Lower fuselage ANA 601 Insignia white FS37880
Upper Surfaces ANA 607 Non-Spectacular Sea Blue FS35042
ANA 608 Intermediate blue FS 35164

Do a Google search for FS 35164 as the color is really a bluish Gray.

Tamiya doesn't make the color but is easy to mix. Model Master does have the exact color, as does Lifecolor. Those are the only paints I use. I'm sure that other paint companies make it as well.

Joel
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Both Hataka and Vallejo have USN WWII colors as paint sets. You can probably get these sets from Squadron.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC
An alternative to Krystal Klear is 1 of the UV activated glues like Laser Bond or Bondic. Put a in the porthole with a toothpick and hit it with the UV light. 10-15 seconds its rock hard and clear as glass. If it's too bulbous when you fill the hole if you gently tough it with something it will draw off a little. Do that a couple of times if need be and it get f flat.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Jessica said, Krystal Kleer will work wonders especially for small windows. You might need two applications to get the "glass" to look flat rather then concave or convex defending on how it dried.

After 1942 the USN went from a 2 tone to a 3 tone paint scheme.

Lower fuselage ANA 601 Insignia white FS37880
Upper Surfaces ANA 607 Non-Spectacular Sea Blue FS35042
ANA 608 Intermediate blue FS 35164

Do a Google search for FS 35164 as the color is really a bluish Gray.

Tamiya doesn't make the color but is easy to mix. Model Master does have the exact color, as does Lifecolor. Those are the only paints I use. I'm sure that other paint companies make it as well.

Joel

joel i believe tamiya does make an intemediate blue. i used it in can and bottle.

joe
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

aircraft gray is the closest thing I have to the spec color.
My aircraft gray is on the blue side but if you know of the proper color please let me know.

Thanks!

Intermediate Sea Blue is the colour you're looking for.

You might have better luck mixing the dark blue and the white 50/50 than using the grey you have.

And I agree with Joel, light to dark, especially if you're brush painting it.
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC
Thanks everyone. Just finished spraying the white under belly and will start with the middle color. Im going with a light sea blue that looks half way from dark sea blue and while. Unfortunately I cant get out of the house for a few days to buy new paint so I will have to do with what I have.
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC
I will definitely get that!!
 _GOTOTOP