_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
gulf tornado colour
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:54 AM UTC
ive got several 1/144 tornados i want to depict from the gulf era using kitsworld decals
http://kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=239&PICFILE=239&STKNR=239&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=173558

ive looked allover the internet and found many forums depicting the colour as desert sand/pink but only naming humbrol 250 in the enamel range i have looked extensivley at colour conversion charts but unsure as to how upto date they are but with no luck no alternate brand for a closer match to the desert sand/pink, i prefer to work with acrylics only. can anybody help inregards to an acrylic colour mix combo or is there now a branded colour for desert pink/sand

all help appreciated

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
I'm always surprised that Humbrol have yet to release it as an acrylic. I've used the enamel in the past (1/35 LRDG Chevy) and it is spot on.

Humbrols colours are spot on for RAF colours from WW2 to present and no other manufacturer has come close. Vallejo's colours for example are miles off.

For the small cost of a Humbrol tin, you will save yourself a lot of time, effort and money with mixing. It may be outside your comfort zone, but sometimes enamel is still the only option.

I have a 1/72 Tornado, Jag and Buccaneer in Gulf markings that are getting closer to my work bench. I'd be eager to see how yours turns out.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:24 AM UTC
Anthony, the Desert Storm Tan used by the RAF is a real chameleon color. When it was applied to the jets initially it had a brownish hue and a close match for that is FS 30279. However, exposure to the elements turned the jets pink, quickly. Life Color produces the FS 30279 Tan and they also produce a shade of "Desert Storm Pink" (no FS # obviously). The paint is really good and I have used it before. Either shade wil be applicable and it just depends how you want to depict the jet. Also, Polly Scale made a color called "Israeli Early Tan" which is a perfect match for the Desert Pink shade. However, it may be difficult to find now.

Best wishes,

Ian
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 04:34 AM UTC
Stephen, ian thanks for the replies. Il have a look for the humbrol enamel. Any tips for working with humbrol enamels?

Il have keep an eye out for your works stephen. Im currently on a 1/144 montage With the tornados & harriers. Got more tornados than i can count atm ha.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:35 AM UTC
Glad to help.

How are you planning on applying it? Airbrush or brush?

At the moment I'm building Wingnut Wings Rumpler C.IV in the Sign of the Four campaign. Fantastic kit and fun to work on.

Once that's done I'll make a start on my Gulf jets. Probably Revell's repop of Matchbox's Buccaneer. A quick build I can practice the characteristic weathered finish on without breaking the bank.
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:18 PM UTC
Stephen

im thinking of applying by brush but atm this may not be for sometime now, as looking at moving house and all my models are tucked away in storage ,

i havent used an airbrush for a very long time so i think i maybe starting airbrushing as a novice sadly.

id love to find a bucaneer in 1/144 though ive got 4 tornadoes to use up all 4 of the decals from kitsworld
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:27 AM UTC
Anthony, the only 1/144 Buc is a vacform from Welsh Models. Don't be afraid of the vacform, in this scale and cost it makes a great starter into vacform.

You may want to have a look at the 1/144 Thread here on Aeroscale and be amazed at some of the builds.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen

im thinking of applying by brush but atm this may not be for sometime now, as looking at moving house and all my models are tucked away in storage ,

i havent used an airbrush for a very long time so i think i maybe starting airbrushing as a novice sadly.

id love to find a bucaneer in 1/144 though ive got 4 tornadoes to use up all 4 of the decals from kitsworld

I know just how you feel! We started moving out of our parents homes this time last year and into our first house.
Still a lot of stuff boxed up here and at my folks.
On the plus side I do know have my own modelling room.
Still a lot of work to go before we can finally call the decorating and reworking done.

Looking forward to seeing your tonka's.
 _GOTOTOP