_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
applying decals over other decals
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hi
I just wanted to ask a quick question. I need to apply decals on top of another decal that I is already fixed and set in with solutions. Normally I would seal it first with gloss varnish and only then put on a new decal, but that would set me back another day. Do you think it would ruin the underlying decals if I put a new one directly over it and applied the softening agents over the two of them? Would they melt into one another?
Thanks
Shrimpman
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 07:23 PM UTC
Ive done just that on several occasions. An insignia might go on top of a stripe, or some times a white patch needs go on first, than a colored design over that -without applying any finish between them.
I've also gone back with solvent after decals have dried to try to improve places they havent seated properly.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC
I've had some trouble with that. Using microset and sol on top of a decal that is already set can ruin it.

Now I fix the first decal (after giving it plenty of time to set) with future and then add the second one on top limiting the use of set and sol.
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:07 AM UTC
I decided to take a risk and put another decal directly on top of the first one. It worked without any trouble at all. The underlying decal was already 24 hours old and firmly set. The new one slid off very nicely without moving the old one and Micro Sol did not give any unpleasant surprises. Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP