_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
1/72 Mig-23 MS
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi guys...
another build this year is the little kit from R.V aircraft MIG-23 MS

This is also my first deviation from the normal japanese company. I decided to give it a try with kit from RV. Read it on the net that this is the most 'OK' mig-23 available in 1/72 scale. Well, let begin.

The kit is very simple. Fewer parts.. i lost the photos of the in box contents but there are plenty of review site that have the photos. Instructions manual is just a two pages separated sheet.
No locating point.

The step begin with the cockpit. I will adress the cocpit later. But i will build the rear fuselage and the wing .

The wing consist of just one part each side. Very simple. Details are good. But there is no mechanism to ensure the wings swept in sync. (just like hasegawa f-14 wing)... so using some math and common sense i just glue the wing through the pin locator and using my old eyes to balance both side.

The rear fuselage consist of 2 upper n lower half and the wings are sandwiched in between. I have to shape some parts of the wing inside the fuselage to ensure good fit.
During dry fitting i anticipated these join to be very very bad.

There is no locating pin so what i did was to clamp and glue (tamiya xtra fine) one section at a time. Let them dried overnight and continued another section. There are 4 section (rear near exhaust L and R, just rear of the wing L and R).. so almost 4 days required for me to complete the rear fuselage join.

above photo is the port side rear join.

starboard side join are below

look carefully and you will understand how serious is this kit. It's just like assembling zhendengfu kit with the price of tamiya

The exhaust cone is also a problem. Will take photos soon.

THis is a big challenge for me now... works should be very very slow with this...

thanks for looking

Sil
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 08:34 AM UTC
some small update on this build...

joining the front and rear fuselage has to be very careful as there is not joining point or indicator... so lots of visual and sense of artistic is required here...

and dry fitting the canopy

disaster as it wont fit ..i try to trim down by sanding the bottom but still wont do it right... i decided to pose it open and may have to scratchbuild the mechanism

as u can see, the join all required filling and then sanding

lotso dust next

Sil
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 02:06 AM UTC
This was one of the kits I've beendrooling at but can't be sure. Thanj you for the extensive insight. Tremendous surface detail and horrible fitting is the general concensus I presume...
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 04:32 AM UTC
I'll be watching to see how this turns out as I've been thinking about getting one too.
Details look amazing, but that fit?
I did the old Airfix Mig years ago when I first started modelling and don't remember any problems like that.

Keep at it, I'm sure it will be worth all that hard work.
 _GOTOTOP