Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Spitfire Mk. VIII - Paint Question
Billster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:43 PM UTC
I just started Eduard's 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk. VIII (weekend edition). Lovely kit thus far but I have a few questions regarding paint colors for the "grey nurse" camouflage marking option for No. 457 squadron, Morotai, Borneo, April 1945.

I was going to spray the cockpit with Tamiya Cockpit Green (XF-71) in line with Brett's build on Hyperscale. Would the wheel wells have been painted this shade as well?

Is there a generally accepted mix of Tamiya paints that does a good job of replicating the camouflage? I was planning to use the following based on an internet search:

Dark Green: Olive Drab (XF-62) + Olive Green (XF-58) in a 5:1 ratio
Ocean Gray: Medium Blue (XF-18) + Sky (XF-21) + Dark Gray (XF-24) in a 1:2:2 ratio
Medium Sea Gray: Sky Gray (XF-19) + Dark Sea Gray (XF-54) in a 3:5 ratio

I'd like to stick with Tamiya paints but would consider Vallejo Model Air or Lifecolor if they have better matches than can be achieved through mixing.

Thanks for any help.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:17 PM UTC
Bill,
Welcome to Aeroscale.

For British interiors, I've always used Model Master RAF Interior Green. Yes, it's enamel, but the color is consistent, and I don't have to mix it every time it's needed during a build.

I've only built one Spitfire to date, and painted the wheel wells the same color as the lower wings.

As for the proper Tamiya colors, they now make only in the 10ml bottles the proper colors that you need:
XF-81 Dark Green 2
XF-82 Ocean Gray 2
XF-83 Medium Sea Gray 2
This colors are slightly darker then their original colors, hence the #2 designation after each of them.

Joel
Billster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:46 PM UTC
Thanks, Joel. I didn't realize they had come up with specific paints so that simplifies things. Knowing they're dark I can lighten them a touch.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC
Bill,
I'm not sure that you would really want to lighten those colors. Here's a picture of my Spitfire Mk IXc wearing those Tamiya colors.
Joel

chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

Vallejo has paint sets with the colors you need in their Model Air line. They don't need mixing to get the colors. You can order them through Squadron.
 _GOTOTOP