_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
enamel or acrylic?
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:26 AM UTC
This topic has probably been brought up numerous times, especially here in the beginners forum.

If there is a link to a previous topic of this similar nature, I would appreciate a little push there.

I have almost exclusively used enamel paints, ether testers or MM as they are readily available. But I have always wondered about acrylics for plastic models.

What paints do you prefer, both brand and type, acrylic or enamel or even acrylic lacquer?

I spray paint so I dilute to about 50% Seems to work well, what about you?
Venko555
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
AeroScale: 206 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi,
It's up to personal preference using enamels or acrylics, but I mainly use acrylics, because of low odor and fast drying. And I like to work with enamel/oil weathering over acrylic base.
My preferred choice of acrylic paints for airbrushing are Gunze Mr. Hobby (lacquer Mr.Color are superb also), although I use for different jobs Lifecolor, Vallejo etc. Tamiya are very good, but don't have the range of Gunze, I'm using some of their colors also.
Diluting is estimated, never bothering with ratios, consistency of milk is enough, for finer job I thin a bit more.

Cheers!
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:32 PM UTC
Thank you Venelin, I will try acrylics. You listed a few brands. Which brand do you prefer?
Vicious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:35 PM UTC
I prefere Enamel ,i dont mind the time neded to dry and also the smell,i work in the garage,is definitely stronger then acrilycs and many time you dont need a primer,cover very well, i can make my own washes and i can mix it with oils,if if i make some mistake i can clean with a little bit of thinner an restart,if you are gentle you can do some washes without any acrylic coat,and you can easely shade

I have also some acrylics specially Life Color,i like it but for me my Humbrol Enamels is just the best

Venko555
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
AeroScale: 206 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Venelin, I will try acrylics. You listed a few brands. Which brand do you prefer?

Gunze, both acrylics and lacquers IMHO are excellent and have wide range (FS, RLM...). Best way is to try a bottle from particular brand (buy, borrow from friend or at modelling shows etc.), and try it by yourself. Other thing to consider is availability and replacement of the colors.

In the end no one can tell you which brand is the best, different opinions, you know

Regards!
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 04:17 PM UTC
For me enamels are easy to use and cover nicely,but there is the odor hazard to deal with.Acrylics can be finicky,except for Tamiya,but once you get used to them there is a great variety in colors coming out lately from Vallejo,and Mig Ammo.So it's what you get comfortable with and whats available for your project.
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 06:26 PM UTC
I am open to try everything at least once. All the opinions here will help me to know what to expect from different types of paint.

Thanks all.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC
I made the switch to Acrylics years ago as my main stay go to colors when I came back to the hobby. By far my favorite acrylics for air brushing are Tamiya. Their one drawback is their limited range of colors. Mixing does become a way of life. Their big advantage is that every local and online hobby shop carries the full line. I also use Lifecolor when I need a certain color that Tamiya doesn't have, and it hand paints great.

With that being said, I still find many uses for Model Master enamels including air brushing.

For automotive finishes I still use Lacquer paints.

I'm lucky in that I have a modeling/computer room, and a paint booth that I use for enamels and lacquers, but not acrylics.

Joel

Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:40 PM UTC
I'm an acrylics man. I’m working away at the living room in a tiny flat. Both wife and I are rather touchy about strong smells, so oil enamels are out of question. I use acrylic exclusively, because they don’t smell and I don’t need any chemicals to wash the brushes, just water and soap. The brands I like are Vallejo (my favourite brand so far) Pactra (not great, but cheap and I kind of like them), and also Tamiya.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC
I started (30+ years ago) with Humbrol enamel, simply because it was more or less the only paint available. Later, some modelmaster was used.

More recently, I started using acryl as well, predominantly Tamiya. This was triggered by on-line articles of health concerns related to enamel fumes, the odourless nature of acryl..

Still, in my book enamel is still king. Superior paint adhesion, color stability over time ...

chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
I have been using acrylics since the early 90s. I liked the Pactra acrylic paints, Gunze Aqueous,Polly Scale (all have been discontinued in the US). Currently I like Vallejo Model Color and Model Air. I want to try the new Hataka paints and the Akan ones as well. The main reason I like acrylic paints are low odor and easy water clean-up. Model Master Acryl paints have a nice selection but they peel when masked.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC
i like enamels better and would rather use them when there is a choice. the go on smoother, are more forgiving with thinning ratios,and i actually think the slower drying time is a plus. i get aggravated with the acrylic constantly drying at the tip of the brush. plus either i get too much stipple or the other extreme- blotchy coverage. granted i have not tried all the acrylics, just tamiya, gunze, lifecolor. of the three lifecolor is the worst. i would stay away from it. gunze did not give me much trouble and i would recommend it.

joe

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:12 AM UTC
I love the Humbrol enamels but honestly, I hate (with a triple vengeance those ridiculous jars they come in.
 _GOTOTOP