_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
The Best F9F Panther/Cougar Kits in 1/48?
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 05:20 AM UTC
I am thinking of getting an F9F Panther kit or two, fighter and photo recon. What are the best choices for accuracy and detail? My impression is that the Revell kit(s) are better in overall appearance but are old and lack state-of-the-art detail. I understand the Trumpeter kits have serious shape issues, even if they look better in the box. I won't even mention AMT or "Collectaire."
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 05:41 AM UTC
The best straight wing Panther is the old Revellogram kit. The best swept wing Cougar is more of a tossup. The Fonderie Miniature kit is a definite short-run model, along with being very hard to come by these days, while the more recent Kitty Hawk kit is reported to be somewhat challenging to build.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The best straight wing Panther is the old Revellogram kit. The best swept wing Cougar is more of a tossup. The Fonderie Miniature kit is a definite short-run model, along with being very hard to come by these days, while the more recent Kitty Hawk kit is reported to be somewhat challenging to build.

Thank you Jessica.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Brian,
I had high hopes for the Kitty Hawk F9F Cougar, but it was a nightmare to try and assemble the fuselage as each half was comprised of 4 sections. The interior PE didn't come close to fitting the side consoles, and at that point I just lost interest in the build.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi there

I've got to say one of the best ever builds I've seen was of Monogram's Panther in a French magazine that I bought in Paris in the '90s. It was a real eye-opener to what was happening just across the Channel that was simply in a different league to anything I'd seen in the UK and US (I'll have to dig it out sometime, because it was years ahead of its time in introducing finishing styles that we've now come to accept). Years later we were lucky enough to have Jean-Luc Formery and Jean Barby join us on Aeroscale and reinforce the excellence of France's modellers.

All the best

Rowan
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Years later we were lucky enough to have Jean-Luc Formery and Jean Barby join us on Aeroscale and reinforce the excellence of France's modellers.

All the best

Rowan

No argument from me there Rowan. Both of them are more artisans than modelers. It's hard for me to tell whose work I like more but I rank them among the best on Aeroscale, without question.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:21 AM UTC
Brian,
Is this your planned next build after you finish the B-17F, or to take a break after a 3 year run, then finish it?
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC
I'm really not sure what I'll be building when the 17 is done. Over the course of the build I find that my interest in subjects has extended into the Cold War, or at least the early fifties when naval aircraft were still solid dark sea blue. I have the two Grumman Guardian kits from Special Hobby, which I really consider World War II birds. And I have a few early jets such as the Czech Model FJ-1 Fury plus the new Banshee kit on order.

But I might go back and, using some parts that Jean Luc sent to me, do a Curtiss Hawk 75A-7 in Dutch East Indies markings. This is the one with the R-1820 Wright Cyclone Engine. I have a Dutch Buffalo built up, and a resin CW-21B Curtiss "Interceptor" in Dutch markings built so the Hawk is calling me. Will just have to see.

I will have a new post up on the 17 tomorrow morning. Slow, but things are moving along. Psychologically I'm near the "end in sight" so far as the interior of this monster goes.
JPK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:21 AM UTC
The best Panther is the venerable Monogram kit. The best Cougar, I think it is the Kitty Hawk kit. I've had both the Fonderie Miniatures Cougar and the Kitty Hawk kit and the KH kit is better. Not by much but it is better. The issue with the FM kit is the plastic. It is a strange formulation. Also it having resin, plastic, vac and PE parts make it a very difficult kit to build. It can be done but it takes someone well versed in assembling the different mediums.
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
The best ever?...The AMT F9F!...maybe not!
 _GOTOTOP