_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
TMB Avenger - which one?
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:21 PM UTC
Hi all!
I am considering an Avenger for my next build. I like very much the Trumpeter 1:32 offering but, as a foreworld, I must comfess I am building a 1:16 FT 17 tank at the moment and I am not really enthusiast with it as it is really BIG without adding so much to a 1:35 kit when it comes to detail.
So I am now disillusioned with bigger scales and fear that a bigger bird will take more room in my shelf without adding so much building fun in respect, say, of Hobby Boss 1:48 offering.
So here I am to ask for help from the community: what do you think? Is 1:32 really better than 1:48?

Thank you for your help!
ciao
edo
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 05:40 PM UTC
My opinion is that the 1/48 TBM is large enough. It was a very big airplane, and 1/48 offers a lot of detail.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:04 AM UTC
How do you define better?

I think 1/32 is better - it's better at taking up space, it's better at costing money and as often as not it has better detail.

I build 1/32nd almost exclusively.

If you don't like adding detail then try a 1/72 or 1/144 scale TBM/TBF
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:16 AM UTC
The Accurate Miniatures (and later Italeri) TBF/TBM models is a nice kit in 1/48th. But the Trumpeter 1/32 scale kit is really about the best kit in any scale. I have both and have built many of the 1/48 scale kits as presentation models-- may Dad was an aviation Metalsmith in Torpedo 9 on the USS Essex from 1942-44. If taking up space is what you're concerned with, go with the 1/48 scale kits. The Trumpeter kit is huge, even with the wings folded, well over 2 feet in span with the wings extended-- not many hobby display shelves have that much space. Personally, I only build in 1/32 scale now except for specific projects, so I like the Trumpeter kit the best, but i also have lots of display options.
VR, Russ
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:25 AM UTC
I built the Hobby boss 1/48 scale Avenger, and it's a rather large display model. The kit is highly detailed. I believe it's a scaled down replica of the Trumpeter kit. The wing folding assembly was re-engineered, and actually is well thought out, as it's quite easy to fold the wings compared to the Trumpeter kit.

Joel
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:48 AM UTC
thank you guys for the replies!
i like to add deteils, i have built some WNW kits and the difference with Eduard is awesome, so, no i don't want an 'easy' build. but i am concerned of having bigger models without more details just more bare plastic to paint. the takom 1:16 FT 17 I am currently building, in my opinion, just don' t have as much more detail than a 1:35 kit considering it is 100% bigger, so it will only occupy more room without adding detail and, in the end, modelling satisfaction. the other way round for WNW kits.
for what i understand of your thoughts, Trumpeter kit has that added value that i am looking for, even compared to a high standard 1:48 offering

thank you again
ciao
edo
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 04:03 AM UTC
Let's be sure about what we are talking about here-- 1/48 or 1/32 aircraft in comparison with a 1/16 2 man tank from WWI. As Joel said, the 1/48 hobby Boss kit may be similar to the Trumpeter kit-- but the Trumpeter kit is in 1/32 scale. I also build WNW kits, and have 16 of them right now either on the workbench or in storage. The WNW kits are half the size or less than Trumpeters 1/32 TBF, even in 1/32 scale. As a rule of thumb, A single seat WWI fighter aircraft kit in 1/32 scale is about the same size as a WWII 1/48 fighter size wise. I've seen the Hobby Boss 1/48 TBF in the box and it's a nice kit. The 1/32 scale Trumpeter TBF kit has more parts and detail, but I'm not sure it's any more detailed as the 1/48 offering-- just larger with more parts. I think that's what you are asking. Eduard makes photo etch for both kits-- and I have the 1/32 "Big Ed" kit for the TBF-- it adds even more detail as I'm sure the equivalent 1/48 set does for the Hobby Boss kit. However, comparing these kits to the TAKOM 1/16 FT 17 is really not possible-- there are way more assemblies and parts in any aircraft than there were in the early tanks. So, as to your original question, a 1/48 kit will take up less shelf space and yet can be more detailed than a 1/16 WWII tank-- especially one as small as the FT17. You can cram more detail into the 1/32 scale TBF aircraft kit for sure-- but you are going to need a lot more space for it. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 09:57 AM UTC
thank you Russ!
that clears things up! you are right: my comparison of aircraft and tanks is not correct.
the fact is i am very much disappointed with the FT 17.... i thought bigger scale meant more details while it meant bigger parts. but it is true that also the real thing was rather crude...
anyway, i have to first clear the bench from this before starting a new build, it is part of a group build on another site that i don't want to give up.
again, thank you very much and i'll show some in progress pictures when i start

ciao
edo
 _GOTOTOP