_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Calling All WWI & Golden Age Builders
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hi everyone

We've got some simply superb builds in this section of the Forum, but Early Aviation is badly under-represented on Aeroscale's front page. Looking at the recent Features, not one is pre-WW2 - and yet you guys and gals are showcasing some of Aeroscale's best builds in the Forum.

It can't be just shyness, or you wouldn't be posting here(!), so let's get those builds onto the front page where they belong and will receive massively wider exposure. Only a fraction of Aeroscale's readers visit the Forum, so they are missing some superb work which will, in turn, attract more visitors to the Early Aviation section.

To submit an article or photos, just drop Jessie or myself a line, and let's get your work into the spotlight where it belongs.

All the best

Rowan
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:04 AM UTC
Rowan - Are older builds welcome ? I have one or two that may fit the bill -
Thanks - Richard
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan - Are older builds welcome ? I have one or two that may fit the bill -
Thanks - Richard

Hi Richard,
Answering on behalf of Rowan (I'm sure he wont mind lol).
If it hasn't been on the front page then its more then welcome.
Andy
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:38 AM UTC
It would be great to see more featured.
I'd submit something, but I'm still in the beginner stage of many of the finishing techniques. Yet to do a proper job of rigging.
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 05:47 AM UTC
A few thoughts on the subject-

Not very many pre- ww2 kits, especially civil aviation.

Not very many pre- ww2 modellers.

Since most modellers are not interested in pre-ww2 most pre-ww2 modellers build for themselves.

The newest subject I've modelled is a spitfire, most are biplanes, or Golden Age monoplanes such as the Lockheed Vega, and Heinkel He 70.

For those largely unfamiliar with the period, it's when huge leaps were made in aviation- Lindberg's trans atlantic flight was the prewar equivalent of 1969's flight to the moon, but if a recent visit to a hobby shop is any indication, most modellers nowadays are interested in jet aircraft, or modern airliners.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi again

As Andy rightly said, older builds are absolutely fine if they've not already appeared as Features.

And, yes, Richard - Golden Age aviation is most definitely something I'd love to see better represented on the front page.

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
I had not thought of golden age.

Junkers F13, W34 and Ju52

Ford Trimotor

All of these have models and have many color schemes. I will submit something but I will need help with the Photos (How to put them in the article).
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again

As Andy rightly said, older builds are absolutely fine if they've not already appeared as Features.

And, yes, Richard - Golden Age aviation is most definitely something I'd love to see better represented on the front page.

All the best

Rowan - Apparently Photobucket is down - when they are back on line I will get some pics out to you - do I send the images as a reply in this thread or elsewhere?
If elsewhere, who, how , where ? Thanks - Richard

Rowan

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi Richard et al

The easiest way to submit photos is to attach them to an email to either myself or Jessie:

[email protected] or [email protected]

Ideally, make the photos a minimum of 800px wide (1000px is better). If they're straight from your camera and uncompressed, you may need to send them in several batches.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hi again

I've got to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who's already been in touch! The response already has been overwhelming - way beyond anything I'd dared hope for!

I think I can safely say we are guaranteed a healthy quota of great new Early Aviation items for the Frontpage for the months ahead. Of course, that's not to say we don't need more - please do contact us whenever you have a build you'd like to showcase.

Remember - as tempting as it is to focus on the Forum, that only attracts a fraction of the people who visit Aeroscale. If you want your work to reach the widest audience, Photo Features and Articles are undoubtedly the way to go.

And, of course, we always need heads-ups for News and new Reviews of the items you're following and building, be they kits or accessories. As I always say, Aeroscale is driven from the ground up - it's your site and must reflect your modelling passions and interests.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP