_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
First Dio Base completed
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC
OK guys this is my first dio base I have ever done. Please tell me what you think and if it looks realistic. It Is for a 1/72 HH-60 Helo. they are in my gallery but I do not know how to post them on here. Any help would be awesome.

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 03:32 AM UTC
First of all - Nice job. Overall it looks good.
Couple of pointers -The yellow line seems a bit glossy. I would try and tone it down with a flat coat. It also seems a bit clean, no scuff, scid marks at all. I would drybrush on some skid marks. You can also make a very thin wash with black paint and thinner and drip it on in appropriate locations for oil/fuel spills.

to get an image in a post. View the image, right click it, select properties, hightlight the entire URL/Address property (click and drag down to ensure you get all of it). then type in an image tag "[img]" paste in your URL the type in a close image tag "[/img}
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
I'm with Slodder. If I'd be you I'll work a bit on the soil too with a wash followed by a drybrush...
Ciao
Captain94
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC
Nice work Herchealer!

I agree with the others, dirty up the hard stand a little bit and your base will be that much better

What material did you use for the base and concrete?

Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 05:47 PM UTC
the base is Simply .5MM strylene plastic cut into 3 inch squares, which equals about 20x20 foot sections of concrete, The gaps were filled with super glue to give it the Rubber look that is sometimes seen on flightlines. I roughened up the surface with Mr Surfacer 500, actually got that idea From Vodnik, if it works for anti-slip then it should create the look i needed. the base was a slightly sratched 9x12 plaque that I picked up on the damaged rack. it was fun to build, and thanks Guys I will try to dirty it up more, and All the Taxi Lines I am used to seeing are very glossy, so that they will stick out in the darkness ( at least where I work), But I play with it a little more, and see what I can do.

Captain94
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 06:12 PM UTC
Thank You, Sir! :-)

Good directions, I've noted you're technique and will certainly use it in the future.

Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 06:31 PM UTC
Gald I could be of Help Captain, I am actually surprised someone would actually use something I did as a reference, I don't think I am very skilled yet as to some of those on here, but thats for the confidence booster.

Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 07:05 PM UTC
i have made oil marks using black paint enough thinned in a disposable syringe and making small injections under the last layer of the airport pool . try to use it
 _GOTOTOP