_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Getting back into it after a few (30!) years.
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi all, after an extended break from model making I've decided (the wife told me to get a hobby instead of watching tv....) to try my hand at modelling again. I've had a look around and I've got my eye on a 1/48 hasegawa typhoon. Now waaaaay back when I made models before the paint was probably lead based and the cement had jusr started appearing with the fine tip nozzle. So, my questions are....what type of cement is advisable these days and where is the best place to source supplies? Cheers in advance!

Ian
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 01:26 AM UTC
Welcome back Ian!

So in answer to your question, can I assume you're talking about adhering polystyrene to polystyrene?

That being the case it depends on what you are gluing at the time. There's the good old fashioned poly cement but I haven't used that in decades-this is more for your beginner modellers.
For general gluing I would recommend a precision poly with a thin tube applicator. This is a lot thinner than the old fashioned stuff, but not so thin as to ruin your work.

Last but not least there's liquid poly. This is very handy when you have say, two fuselage halves taped together, but not yet glued, and you dab a little glue with the brush on the seam. Capillary action does the rest. Word of warning though: keep it away from the masking as it will bleed under! Remove the masking after the glue has cured, wait 24hours, then come back and finish the job. Also keep away from fingers as you'll end up finding fingerprints all over your model!

Hope this helps. As for the best place to buy? I always start at my local hobby shop (LHS). There's a lot of different brands available too, aside from the ones I've provided links to. You'll find the one that works best for you.
Russ.
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
Yeah that precision poly looks like the stuff i last used. Back then came in a blue bottle though

There's a model shop not too far from me so I might pop in there.

I was looking at the airfix 1/24 typhoon but then thought don't sprint before you can crawl
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 06:06 AM UTC
I do recommend using liquid poly . I use Tamiya extra thin and Tamiya extra thin quick setting which is faster than their regular extra thin . I also us Ambroid Proweld , awesome stuff . Super glue is also very handy as well for the smaller finer details . There are lots of different brands and velocity . Your hobby shop will have what you need .

If your hobby shop isn't up to par you can try Hannants .
Awesome place to shop . They are located in the UK

www.hannants.co.uk

I have been using them for a year now and have made manyyy purchase's through them and never had any issues .

Terri

RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah that precision poly looks like the stuff i last used. Back then came in a blue bottle though

I was looking at the airfix 1/24 typhoon but then thought don't sprint before you can crawl

The 1/24 Typhoon is an awesome kit, no doubt about it! One can only hope Airfix apply the same treatment to some of their other 1/24 kits by re-tooling the classics in the coming years! Fingers crossed for a new tool 1/24 spit next year to mark it's 80th birthday of entering service.

But, getting back on topic, maybe ease back into the hobby with a few smaller (and cheaper) kits first
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 08:32 PM UTC
Ian,
Welcome back to our hobby, and to Aeroscale. You're really going to like it here. The more you get involved and contribute, the more you'll get out of it, and the faster you will once again master the basics.

Looking forward to following along your 1st build.

Joel
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The 1/24 Typhoon is an awesome kit, no doubt about it! One can only hope Airfix apply the same treatment to some of their other 1/24 kits by re-tooling the classics in the coming years! Fingers crossed for a new tool 1/24 spit next year to mark it's 80th birthday of entering service.

But, getting back on topic, maybe ease back into the hobby with a few smaller (and cheaper) kits first

I remember when I was young staring in awe at the airfix 1/24 range. My local (long since deceased) shop once even opened a box so I could gaze upon the delights of the spitfire. You are 100% right though - small starts and all that! Seems our local budget supermarket is offering a 1/72 spitfire starter (inc. glue and paint) for 4.99 next week. My eyes ain't what they used to be thoguh
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 12:23 AM UTC
So, 18 hours to go on ebay for the typhoon. I don't know why but I am genuinely excited!

One more question, cleaning paint brushes. I assume as the paint seems to be acrllic these days you cand clean them with water?

Thanks to all who have replied - good to get sound advice before openeing the box
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, 18 hours to go on ebay for the typhoon. I don't know why but I am genuinely excited!

One more question, cleaning paint brushes. I assume as the paint seems to be acrllic these days you cand clean them with water?

Thanks to all who have replied - good to get sound advice before openeing the box

Well I'm still a toxic avenger and use enamels and enamel thinners

Acrylic are a whole different ball game and come in many guises and each one has it's own quirks. The acrylics I do use wash in water, but prefer acrylic thinner for airbrushing... so who knows???
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 12:36 AM UTC
So after winning the kit off ebay last monday and the supplies arriving today earth has finally been broken as they say....
As soon as I opened the cement it was like being 10 again!!!

So far wings assembled (3 parts) and 2 fuselage panels fitted. Wait till tomorrow to clean them up / put a bit of filler and sand.

Can't believe after all this time I still feel the thrill
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
Ah yes, the smell of fresh styrene!

Why not share your build with us in a blog Ian?
 _GOTOTOP