_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Which paint should I use?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:46 AM UTC
When confronted by the rainbow of colours and paint options at the hobby shop, it's often difficult to remember that your objective is to paint your model.

But which paint? What's RLM 65? How do I find RAF Dark Green in my favourite paint brand? How do I mix up the paint that I need to finish my pride and joy when no paint manufacturer was considerate enough to produce the exact shade I need? All these questions and more confront too many of us as we get started in our hobby.

There are many guides to model paints on the interwebs. One of the best, and longest lasting is the IPMS Stockholm archive of Urban's Colour Reference Charts. Part I and Part II may be found at the links. Every modeller ought to have these pages bookmarked.
Steven000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:50 AM UTC
I actually ordered some paint yesterday (finally) but still haven't yet ordered my main camo colors because of the problem you mentioned above (RAF brown and green, a nice US vehicle green, german camo 45...).
So many colors, so many names, still figuring out the remaining paint bottles...

I'm hoping to work with Vallejo colors btw (new to me), always used the revell cups with white spirit

Thanks & kind regards
Steven
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 03:32 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing.

The IPMS Stockholm charts are indeed useful. It helped me to find the right mixture of Tamiya acrylics to paint my P-47D cockpit.

Jelger
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:29 PM UTC
While the IPMS Stockholm site has been the standard place to go for paint and camouflage reference, it has not been updated to include the ever increasing paint manufactures and latest research findings on camouflage colors. I find that the work Mike Benolkin has done on his site is more helpful.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/references.shtml
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:59 PM UTC
I regularly use this:

The ultimate paint guide
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
Jess,
I've used Urban's paint charts for years, and find them very useful. Preferring primarily Tamiya paints, I need to mix almost every color these days, and have amassed enough mixes from various trusted modelers to cover my needs.

Joel
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 11:57 PM UTC
Another great resource that is sadly gone now was the Don Color profiles on the defunct jpsmodeling site. JPS had almost every color ever used on a plane since the Wright Flyer!
 _GOTOTOP