_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Worst Aircraft Model Ever!
chuckster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 05:56 AM UTC
I bought the Testors classic 1/72 SBD kit. I knew not to expect much, maybe a reboxed Airfix kit, but thought I could make something of it anyway. Boy was I wrong! The upper and lower wings were one piece. It did have two crew members, but they sat on plastic tabs in the fusalodge. And the kit had molded engravings on the outside as a guide for the decals! I've never thrown a kit in the trash unbuilt before, but I did this one. As a note, the kit had 'Hawk' engraved on the insides of the fusaloge. Was that an old model company? If their kits were all this bad, no wonder I never heard of them.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hawk Models kits were among the forefront of the development of plastic models in the 1950s. Hawk Models was later taken over by Testors in 1970 and their kits are still re(re-re-re)leased to this day. What you experienced was the state of the art in 1958, which just serves to show how much that's advanced in the 58-odd years since.

For the sake of nostalgia, Round 2 Models is issuing some kits in reproductions of the original Hawk boxes.

Testors is notorious for re-issuing ancient models. If you're unsure what's in a kit, just ask here. One of us has likely built it, and will be glad to tell you all about it

The Airfix kit is almost as ancient, so if you want a good Dauntless in 1/72, you need to look for the Hasegawa, but even that's not great given that it's about 20 years old.
dammodeus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:00 AM UTC
That's awesome! I love crap like that. I recently saw a 1/72 Testors F-4G Wild Weasel on clearance at Hobbytown, funnily the box pictures of the built model were of a F-4C recce aircraft!
P.S. you should have kept that Dauntless, no putty needed on the wing seams!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 12:45 PM UTC
Old kits do have an appeal to them. I like to build them oob occasionally as a way of relaxing from overly complex modern builds. Most are generally accurate in shape. I have Revells big 1/32 Beaufighter in the stash currently screaming at me to be built and I know I will enjoy every minute of it. And that dates back to the early 70's!

But if you want bad, look at Starfix! Just awful.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought the Testors classic 1/72 SBD kit. I knew not to expect much, maybe a reboxed Airfix kit, but thought I could make something of it anyway. Boy was I wrong! The upper and lower wings were one piece. It did have two crew members, but they sat on plastic tabs in the fusalodge. And the kit had molded engravings on the outside as a guide for the decals! I've never thrown a kit in the trash unbuilt before, but I did this one. As a note, the kit had 'Hawk' engraved on the insides of the fusaloge. Was that an old model company? If their kits were all this bad, no wonder I never heard of them.

Oh, I remember that kit when it was "new" in 1958. As someone else pointed out, those solid wings are a plus. No seam filling! Just don't try to open the dive flaps.

We could probably start a long thread here on the "world's worst kit." My personal love-to-hate manufacturer is Fonderie Miniatures (F.M.) of France, who put out expensive guaranteed-to-drive-you-insane subjects in 1/48 that are, by and large, unbuildable. The guy who completed their Handley Page Hampden deserves a medal!! I'd love to have one of these in my collection, but not at the price he paid in work!!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We could probably start a long thread here on the "world's worst kit."

That is one option.

It may however be even more fun to make a historical feature on how modelling evolved over the year. How companies started and collapsed, how new techniques brought improvements to the models, how aftermarket boomed ...

The question is, are there people around with enough relevant knowledge to start on an endeavour like that?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 09:46 PM UTC
Like Brian, I'm more then old enough to remember building most of the Hawk kits when they were 1st released.

Joel
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The question is, are there people around with enough relevant knowledge to start on an endeavour like that?

Yes! The sitemaster of Old Model Kits has been acquiring a great deal of old model histories. Here's one: Early Plastic Model Kit Development in the USA

Another: History of the Hawk “Weird-Ohs” Plastic Model Kits

Then there is Biography of James (Jim) Pettit Cox – The Father of Modern Model Box Artwork

Those are just a sample. And I am writing up a history of FROG. It's not quite complete but it is at about 20 pages already.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC

My vote for the worst aircraft kits ever goes to the Starfix kits.. esp their spitfire.. Last time I saw any of them they were at the dollar store.... and there is a reason they sold for a dollar.. LOL
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 04:39 AM UTC
I wouldn't even pay that for their junk!

Oddly enough last year a charity near my work place had one and a Verlinden 1/35 plaster building kit donated for sale.
The Verlinden building was priced at £2.50 so I snapped it up, the Starfix Spitfire (if it can even be called that) was a whopping £10! I did try to explain the quality of it and how they were massively overpricing it. It fell on deaf ears and the manager was insistent that is was Airfix but misspelled.
Somehow they still managed to sell it to some poor sucker a few days later.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hi all

I think there's the basis of a Campaign here: dig out the truly nastiest kits in our stashes and build them - warts and all - to showcase them in all their "glory" as a warning to others!

Sadly, I couldn't enter what would be my prime entry. While I'm a total sucker for short-run kits (and in the past I would buy things for the challenge they offered!), I did once come across a shorter-than-short-run Eastern European model of the Vought V-141 that was so rough, it just promised such a world of pain that even I baulked at the prospect and passed on it!

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP