E14Y Glen floatplane PE
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:48 AM UTC
Folks,
I have a 1/72 Fujimi E14Y Glen floatplane that I'm getting ready to build. Somewhere along the line, I picked up a small photo etch set for the Glen that has "MPM" stamped on it. It has cockpit and engine details, but I don't have any instructions for the PE-- I assume MPM marketed a resin of reboxed Fujimi Glen in the past-- would any of you have instructions for this set that you could scan and send to me? I can figure out most of the details myself, but there are four "crooked J" shapes (that's the best way I can describe them) that I think are seat supports. I'm hoping the instructions for the MPM kit will clarify. Thanks in advance!
VR, Russ
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 03:08 AM UTC
Russ - my guess is you've already thought of this but does MPM have a website with access to instructions ? Just a thought - Richard
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ - my guess is you've already thought of this but does MPM have a website with access to instructions ? Just a thought - Richard

Richard,
I haven't been keeping up with them lately, but I don't think MPM exists anymore as a company-- I think they were purchased by CMK or Special Hobby, but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find a web site for them at all. I'm pretty sure that if they ever marketed a kit for the E14Y Glen, it's been long out of production. I'm hoping someone here might have the kit or might know where the PE set came from (perhaps it was an AM set from CMK?). It's a small set no larger than 1" X 1.5". It has a an engine wiring harness, foot pedals for the pilot and observers positions, belts, instrument panels, throttles and joystick. What I can't figure out is some parts that might be seats, and the 4 panels of 2 each " J" shaped objects. The items I take for seats are part #16, and the "J" shapes are all labeled part 17. I can only imagine they are some type of seat support. So far my on-line search has come up short.
VR, Russ
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 04:41 AM UTC
Russ - I've just checked Mikesh's " Japanese Aircraft Interiors" but, as I suspected, no Glen - how about kit reviews on various sites ? Perhaps there may be a clue if someone reviewed what you have . Another shot in the dark may be to post pictures of the fret - someone may be able to puzzle it out . Ah. - the joys of modeling Japanese aircraft ! Good luck - Richard

rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 04:48 AM UTC
Another thought - Nick Millman's Aviation of Japan site - loads of 1/72 kit stuff on it - all archived . Nick is also very helpful and he is a busy guy but will eventually respond - if you are not familiar with him he lives and breaths this stuff . Hope this may be of some help - Richard
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:57 AM UTC
Richard,
Thanks, I'll check out Nick's website. I have a pretty extensive library of information on the E14Y Glen, including the "Silent Siege" and WO Fujita books by Bert and Maggie Webber about the attack on the Oregon Coast. I also have several Koku-Fan and Warplane Illustrated Japanese language references for Japanese submarine launched aircraft. But I haven't found any photos or references which might give a clue as to these MPM PE parts. I'd love to post a photo but have never been able to get the photobucket stuff working right.
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
I think I've temporarily answered my own question about the MPM photo etch. After a pretty thorough search of the internet, including Nick Millmans site and several others, I found a review article over on Modeling Madness from December 1996. Although there are no instructions, The MPM kit is described as a limited run kit with a brass set as I suspected. The author references the brass aileron hinges and float rudders-- I think that's what I'm seeing on this stray MPM brass set-- as there are 8 "J" shaped pieces which make sense for the hinges, and what I took to be seats are more likely the float rudders that need to be folded in half to form the hinge. So unless someone knows for sure from the instructions, I'm going to go with that. I'm just glad Fujimi released this kit, as the MPM kit looks like a real bear!
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP