_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Pearl Harbor Day
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:03 AM UTC
I thought that it would be appropriate and proper for all of us who are military modelers and have a interest in world history, to take a moment to reflect on the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor, which brought the United States into World War II 75 years ago on this date.

Many of us have parents or grand parents that fought in the war, and some that were at the Pearl on the Day of Infamy.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought that it would be appropriate and proper for all of us who are military modelers and have a interest in world history, to take a moment to reflect on the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor, which brought the United States into World War II 75 years ago on this date.

Many of us have parents or grand parents that fought in the war, and some that were at the Pearl on the Day of Infamy.

Joel

There is a remarkable collection of 73 photos relating to the attack, some well-known, others pretty obscure in my view, available here courtesy of "The Denver Post. Well worth a look.

In a few more years we will soon be at the point where the attack is beyond living memory. Pictures, films and writings will be all we have.

It is saddening to reflect not only on the dead of that day and during World War II, but also on how little humanity has learned in the decades since.

I know this is not the forum to go all political, so I will simply say that today's world strikes me as no less dangerous than that of 1941. Much as I like to make military aircraft models, I'd give it all up in a second if there could be no need for the real thing.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:16 AM UTC
Nicely said Brian. I found it somewhat disturbing that my son's generation (he's 29) have very little to no understanding of Attack on Pearl Harbor, WW11 in general, nor for that matter Korea.

I to would give up military modeling in a split second if there was no need for any of the real deal.

Joel
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:44 AM UTC
Brian and Joel - You have both read my thoughts when seeing this post and articulated them better than I could - I was going to make the point that Joel made about how little the current generation seems to know about WW II and, perhaps more importantly in terms of preventing it from happening again , how many know little about the causative factors. I, too would give up this hobby of mine if I thought it would be an ounce of prevention - but of course it would not. I once had a
" conversation " with someone who thought that military modeling was a glorification of war in some way. I told this person that I believe that many - if not most - military modelers have a deep interest in the history of conflict and consequently possess a broader understanding off how these cataclysmic events came to be - valuable knowledge to have when making both personal and political choices. On this day I have some inner questions about my interest in Japanese Aviation in particular. I can understand how some of my parents' generation might find it distasteful- I like to think that it is part of a bigger picture and represents that time - the great healer - has done some of its work. Some years ago I was fortunate enough to travel to Hawaii and of course Pearl Harbor was on the top of my list.
While at the Arizona Memorial there were many Japanese of all ages - all of them extremely respectful and deferential- more so than a few young Americans who were also there. My parents generation was and is a remarkable group to have endured and prevailed in the greatest conflict the world has seen and hopefully will never see again . Thank you both for this thought provoking post .

Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:57 AM UTC
Richard,
Thanks so much for posting your thoughts as they show a good deal of insight and thoughtfulness. Hopefully more of our family will stop by and post theirs.
Joel
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
AeroScale: 385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:00 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

As this day comes to a close, this very horrible day that happened 75 years ago, I can't help but wonder the "what if". Where would we be had this not happened? Sadly we can't go back and change things that happened this day, but we, as modeler's, can keep the history of all these events, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm/Shield, and many others from fading into the sands of time.
It is my opinion that we hold the history and stories that can only be taught by modeling them. As the Greatest generation passes we need to keep them in mind for all times.
Oh, and the next time someone says that your glorifying war, tell them this "Nope, I'm preserving it so other may enjoy the freedom you have and are taking for granted you little hack, cause it ain't free."

My two cents.

P.S., It makes me sick that the history of these conflicts are being redone because of some idiots who are in denial. Example: Holocaust, I'm sorry, you're not Serv-Pro princess, this did happen. When I was in school, WWII was ingrained into your brain. Now, this like a page 10 blip in the newspapers.
When did the most important 5 years of the whole of mankind get taken out of history class? Oh, answer, The Kardishians are more important then that. REALLY?!?!?!
Sorry for the rant gang, but this generation is like the seagulls in "Finding Nemo", MINE, MINE, MINE!

Joel, Brian kudos. I hope I didn't rant to hard.

See ya in the funnies...........
Bravo1102
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
AeroScale: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:15 PM UTC
Never forget. As long as there is one person who remembers, it is not forgotten. This generation has forgotten World War II just like those in 1941 barely remembered September 17, 1862. It is the fate of humans to forget and have to learn the same lessons again.

September 17, 1862 is the bloodiest day in American history. The battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg. The outcome of that was the issue of the Emancipation Proclamation. How many of the model builders reading this know American Civil War history as well as the interior colors of Japanese aircraft ?

It's a matter of perspective and interest. I am into more than World War II so there are plenty of days I feel are worth remembering but it is our fate to forget. As I said before as long as one person remembers, it is not forgotten.

I am not belittling one day as opposed to another, just.that we should make an effort to remember them all and to not castigate someone because they don't. All the days were important to one generation, but as the decades pass it gets hard to remember all the days we're not supposed to forget.

With only 180 odd days it's hard for a social studies teacher to get the students to remember each day without making the student feel like he is weighed down by minutae. So things get reviewed and dismissed quickly. There is no time to review the details of Pearl Harbor because the last day of school is staring you in the face and you have to at least get to VJ-day. And covering the Great Society and Vietnam is a dream few teachers of my aquaintance ever managed.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:16 PM UTC
Very well said Stephen - I've been to Antietam and stood at the various markers with the photographs ( Matthew Brady perhaps?) taken from the same spots documenting the carnage in stark contrast to the peacefulness of my surroundings as I viewed them. It certainly left its mark on me .

You also make a very valid point in that there is only so much time in the day and only so much we can digest.

" Those who cannot remember their history are doomed to repeat it"

Thanks for sharing in this- Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
While I don't know dates when it comes to the Civil War, I do understand the why, where, concepts, and outcomes that has shaped our nation since then.

I'm a avid follower/viewer of the American Hero's Channel (AHC) on cable, so I get a pretty broad view of American History from the revolution to today.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi there

There's a sobering account from a survivor on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38216087

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

There's a sobering account from a survivor on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38216087

All the best

Rowan

Rowan
Thanks for posting that link. I just watched it, and the human torches was something I've never really heard before. What a horrible way to die.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Joel

It's ghastly, isn't it! I'd never come across that in previous accounts either.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

It's ghastly, isn't it! I'd never come across that in previous accounts either.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
At his age there is always the chance that what he remembers burning in the water wasn't sailors. At least I certainly hope so.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP