_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Hasegawa Decals
KitKan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:16 AM UTC
Firstly I am new to this hobby, so please forgive my ignorance. Has anyone else here had problems with Hasegawa decals?

I have made/am making two Hasegawa models so far, the F-16A ISAF (HSGS9962) and the F-104 JSDF (PT18).

The F-16 (which I have completed) went fine decal wise, the decal were quite sturdy, and was shifted into position with little difficulty. However the F-104 decal was very different, being both very thin, crisp and brittle. I lost most of the larger parts which broke apart on application.

So, what are the hasegawa decals generally like? Are the majority more similar to the F16A (sturdy/thick) or to the F104 (crispy/thin)?

I realize the main problem probably related to my own lack of decal applying skills, however I am considering a major order of Hasegawa models, and it would be good to have some info on whether hasegawa decals are newbie friendly or not.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:47 AM UTC
Kittichan,
Generally Hasegawa decals are very good, but can sometimes be a little thick, and often thier white color is a little yellowish. Thier F104 series has been out quite a while now, so perhaps you have some old decals which have become brittle over time. For older decals like this, I use Microscale Decal Solution if I suspect the decal has become brittle, I just paint it on with a brush.
VR, Russ
KitKan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:54 AM UTC
Thank you for your kind advice : )

Yes, the decal sheet did look distinctly yellowed. That said it is a relief to hear that hasegawa decals are beginner friendly at least. With any luck the incoming hasegawa models' decal would still be in good condition
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 08:59 PM UTC
Howdy,

Using very warm water to soak them in also helps to soften the decal.

Brian Riedel
 _GOTOTOP