_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Spraying Tamiya Acrylic over Gunze Acrylic
KitKan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 01:53 PM UTC
Greetings everyone : )

Is it possible to spray Tamiya acrylic paint (thinned with tamiya thinner) over MrColor (Gunze) acrylic paint (thinned with Gunze levelling thinner)?

I am currently trying to paint a hasegawa F-15C with Mod Eagle camouflage. Reference recommends FS73105 and FS73172. The former is, I think, quite similar to Gunze's H306, however the only direct match I can find locally for FS73171 is Tamiya FS82.

If I were to spray FS82 over a base of FS73171, would the result wind up being a horrible mess?

Alternately any advice on how to create FS73171 using gunze paint would be greatly appreciated.

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hai,

Does FS73171 actually exist?

Federal standard color chart

I have been airbrushing everything over everything without problems. The key thing is to alow for a long drying time. I usually never spray a new coat on a base that has not been drying for a week.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hai,

I have been airbrushing everything over everything without problems. The key thing is to alow for a long drying time. I usually never spray a new coat on a base that has not been drying for a week.

I looked it up:

Mod eagle camouflage is the combination of FS36176 and FS36251. I wonder where you got those other color numbers from

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:53 PM UTC
Yes you can.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:27 AM UTC
Kittichan,
Both brands of acrylic paints are very similar in make up. Both can be thinned with Tamiya Yellow Cap. I've read several reports that Tamiya acrylics can also be thinned with Gunze Self Leveling Thinner.

When air brushing acrylics, honestly I only wait like a 1/2 hour before air brushing on another coat. Never had any issues.

Joel
KitKan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 04:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hai,

Forgive me, I am an idiot

I looked the color up on Cybermodeller, and copied the wrong column, those are product code for Akan brand paints

@ Matt and Joel

tyvm for your advice.

I am very relieved these two paints are compatible, my last effort to paint an F-15C with MrColor 334 and 306 looked distinctly wrong ....

http://gallery3.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/446665

While I am pretty sure most of that is due to personal incompetence with an airbrush/masking, I suspect my color selection also played a role.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:14 PM UTC
Kittichan,
those are two separate issues. Paint compatibility, and the proper FS numbers for those paints.

Joel
KitKan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:11 AM UTC
I apologise for my bad wording.

I completely agree, what I mean was simply that my best attempt to paint the mod camouflage pattern using Gunze only paint was not successful. Hence it is a great relief that Tamiya and Gunze paint is compatible, opening up additional options for the combination.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I apologise for my bad wording.

I completely agree, what I mean was simply that my best attempt to paint the mod camouflage pattern using Gunze only paint was not successful. Hence it is a great relief that Tamiya and Gunze paint is compatible, opening up additional options for the combination.

Kittichan
What issues did you have difficulty with?
Joel
KitKan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
I should have no trouble now with your kind assistance : )

Again apologies for my bad wording, I can see how that could be unclear/lead to confusion.
 _GOTOTOP