_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Elmer's Glue for Canopies?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:11 PM UTC
Can elemer's glue be used for masking the canopy? Just like pouring it all over the clear part, let dry and spray paint. Remove the glue and it's done. Is it possible?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:33 PM UTC
It is possible I guess. The only thing is what would you take it off with?? Once it dries I don't think it would peel off.
I say this because you can use it to fill gaps and if you paint over it with enamels the thinner in the paint won't budge it once it dries. The only way I have seen this stuff come off is if you scrape it off with a knife or sand it and even then it it tough to get it all off.
Your best bet is to dip the parts in Future/ Kleer. Mask it off with a low tack tape( Scotch tape ) or a frisket. Then take the future and with a paintbrush paint some future over the edges of the tape. This will prevent the paint from bleeding under the mask onto the canopy. Once the future is dry. Paint your frames whatever color you want. then peel the tape off. Any residue left behind can be gotten up with Isopropyl Alchohol. The future will protect the canopy from clouding. then whola your done..

Hope this helps

Paul
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is possible I guess. The only thing is what would you take it off with?? Once it dries I don't think it would peel off.
I say this because you can use it to fill gaps and if you paint over it with enamels the thinner in the paint won't budge it once it dries. The only way I have seen this stuff come off is if you scrape it off with a knife or sand it and even then it it tough to get it all off.
Your best bet is to dip the parts in Future/ Kleer. Mask it off with a low tack tape( Scotch tape ) or a frisket. Then take the future and with a paintbrush paint some future over the edges of the tape. This will prevent the paint from bleeding under the mask onto the canopy. Once the future is dry. Paint your frames whatever color you want. then peel the tape off. Any residue left behind can be gotten up with Isopropyl Alchohol. The future will protect the canopy from clouding. then whola your done..

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks! Actually, that was my original plan. Too bad it is waayy to hard especially with a BF-109E-4 in 1/72!
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC
It should lift up withthe edge of a knife and clean up with water, even after it has cured. If in doubt, practice on a piece of scrap plastic.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:14 AM UTC
Let me draw your attention to this Canopy Tips Topic:

Canopy Tips
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me draw your attention to this Canopy Tips Topic:

Canopy Tips

I've already checked that part before I posted this topic. Since they said of Liquid Mask, I've looked out for an alternative which is Elmer's glue.
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
i believe it will work especially if you dont let it for ages after you have finished your work
Teacher
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:09 AM UTC
Shonen, any good stationary shop should sell Daler-Rowney Art Masking Fluid, it'd what I use and never had any problems with, it can be brushed on in extremely fine lines. Dries clear and can be removed by a Q-tip dipped in and allowed to dry.

Vinnie
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
Micromark Sells "Mask-it easy" Looks like elmers but is liquid mask..Big bottle and cheap.. Never worked well for me tho
 _GOTOTOP