Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hi everyone

It's New Year's Day and time for wild plans for the modelling year ahead! If you can't be ambitious on Jan 1st, when can you be!

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to cut right back on endlessly reviewing even more than I have done recently in order to focus on actually building again. To challenge myself, I couldn't resist a mega-project - a side-by-side build of Special Hobby's Tempest Mk.V and the new Mk.II.

My main workbench these days is a size I could only have dreamed of when I lived in a small flat in London (that's an A3 cutting board dwarfed by the Mk. II's box...) - but it's clear the first job will be to get the tool drawers etc. moved well away in order to have more clear working area. (Ohh - and the other first job, ironically, is to shoot sprue pics for an in-box review of the Mk. II! )

So... probably a day or so of rethinking the layout of my workshop... and then let the fun commence!

Here's to peace, happiness, good health and prosperity for you all in 2017.

All the best

Rowan
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC
Wow Rowan! That is a very ambitious new year's resolution! Makes my 15 km run look like a child's play

Good luck with those big Hawkers, I for one will be following your build with interest since I read good reviews of those kits.

Happy 2017!
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone
It's New Year's Day and time for wild plans for the modelling year ahead! If you can't be ambitious on Jan 1st, when can you be!

Rowan

Happy New Year Rowan ! Looking forward to your progress on these kits. It'll be an interesting journey to see the differences in engineering between manufacturers.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 05:49 PM UTC
This will be interesting to follow along on , looking forward to your progress Rowan .

Terri
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC
Rowan,
Happy New Year's. May this year bring you the best of everything.

Talk about taking a Giant leap back into actually modeling! Just wait till Steffen sees this.

Not one but two limited edition 1/32 scale Special Editions Tempests. Now this is going to be really good. I'm officially pulling up my extra padded chair right next to Terri for the full show, since Terri has been known to have a unlimited supply of popcorn. Can't wait for the show to begin.

Joel
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:56 PM UTC
Oh following along Rowan as I have the same Mk.II boxing as you. You can show me how it's done ready for the time I take the plunge.

So pulling up a chair next to Terri and Joel, popcorn, a and notepad.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi Rowan you don't do things by halves do you fella? I'll pull up a seat next to Terri as well, don't like popcorn but I'll play gooseberry. (that should confound our esteemed North American colleagues.) Look forward to seeing these built as I have a soft spot for these aircraft especially the MkV as 486 (NZ) Squadron flew them in the dying days of WW2.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan you don't do things by halves do you fella? I'll pull up a seat next to Terri as well, don't like popcorn but I'll play gooseberry. (that should confound our esteemed North American colleagues.) Look forward to seeing these built as I have a soft spot for these aircraft especially the MkV as 486 (NZ) Squadron flew them in the dying days of WW2.

Chris,
Yep, I have no idea what playing Gooseberry means.
Joel
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi Rowan -

I'll be watching the two for one special along with the others - also , if you need to get them both from the bench to the airfield I have access to an ox cart-

Happy New Year- Richard
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Chris,
Joel

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:20 AM UTC
Looks like the front row seats are all taken! Lucky I'm tall enough to see from the second row, and reach over and steal some of that popcorn from Terri!
Awesome project to get the new year rolling Rowan, this should be a really good comparative build thread and I'm in for the long haul.

Cheers, D
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Chris,
Joel

Joel-

It seems as you and I are former colonists we need to stick together - thanks to google it would appear that " playing gooseberry " means third wheel - persona non grata , etc. Perhaps our friends across the pond or even those in the former penal colony can confirm this .
Signed - a bewildered yank
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 07:34 AM UTC
Think third wheel Joel ..... as Richard and google so eloquently point out.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

or even those in the former penal colony can confirm this .

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 03:01 PM UTC
Hi everyone

I'm genuinely knocked out by your interest! Thank you all! (I've just got to try not to disappoint you now, haven't I... )

I shot the photos for the Mk. II "First Look" yesterday and did a very quick test-fit. Nothing conclusive, but it looks like the nose will be a trickier fit than the Mk. V's. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I'll plough on clearing a big enough work-space today, along with writing up a few more reviews. Hopefully, I'll get underway properly later this week.

@ Pedro - Good luck with your 15 km run! One of my other resolutions is to try to live a bit healthier from now on, but a target like that would be over-pushing it for me just yet!

All the best

Rowan
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 04:07 PM UTC
Rowan: Surely I will follow up this one, even it`s not yet exactly my scale!!
It has all for a big show in 2017 that will last a year (or more?) and keeping me bound - 2 interesting subjects and a very ambitious modeller away from just reviewing boxes&sprues and back to the fun!
Hope you`ll make it come true...
Th mas
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 05:33 PM UTC
I intend to build my MkV this year, I can only wonder if I will actually get it done for Telford (along with several other models that I intend to get done by then!). My first thought was to say that I will eat my shorts if you actually finish them this year but you seem pretty determined, so I won't
I will be interested to see how you progress
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hi Thomas and Mal

I'm not going to make any predictions about the timescale - it'll be so dependant on how successful I am at getting off the merry-go-round of reviewing all the time. I can actually build fairly quickly when I get the wind in my sails, but I'm all too easily distracted by new releases and admin, so it's beyond overdue to leave a lot more of that to others and have some fun modelling again.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Thomas and Mal

I'm not going to make any predictions about the timescale - it'll be so dependant on how successful I am at getting off the merry-go-round of reviewing all the time. I can actually build fairly quickly when I get the wind in my sails, but I'm all too easily distracted by new releases and admin, so it's beyond overdue to leave a lot more of that to others and have some fun modelling again.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
What you need is a Admin Asst.
Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 10:56 PM UTC
Rowan I wish you all the best and will watch with great anticipation you know what they say a change is as good as a rest. Here's to you getting all the "rest" you need! LOL
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi again

Slightly hijacked by "real life" this month, I've finally cleared the hurdle of the First Look Review for the Mk.II.

But... with things looking a bit more stable and with more cover lining up at work (that's tempted Fate! LOL!), I think I really will be able to make a start this week...

All the best

Rowan
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:33 AM UTC
Now you're just teasing us young master Rowan! Look forward to seeing these hit the assembly lines!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:25 AM UTC
Rowan,
I've got my big rocking chair ready to go. Just need Terri to make a huge pot of Popcorn.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:59 AM UTC
Rowan,
just checking to see if you've had the time to start either kit.
Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hi again

After a shock delay due to one thing and another, I'm finally underway!

This is the cockpit for the "basic" Mk.V with the addition of CMK's control column, plus their resin seat w/harness sat there for comparison. I'll start throwing some paint at things today.

Rather than build the two cockpits simultaneously, I'll get this one done first and then apply any lessons learned (and I'm sure there will be some) to the second.

Hopefully, I'll add updates regularly now that I'm finally back at the workbench.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP