_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What Mrs Claus gave me
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:33 AM UTC
A belated Merry Xmas all.

This is going to be in several parts, because my pc is currently having some problems, and this laptop gets cranky.

Mrs Claus blessed me with some models, one I've had in mind, one which tickled my sense of humor, and a couple I'd given hardly a thought to, but now anticipate some enjoyable building.

One of the models is of fairly recent vintage, while the rest are a bit old. One of which is an MPM P63, quarter scale, and while it shows physical age, it could be the start of a nice model.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:38 AM UTC
The kit that tickled me is a Glencoe Piasecki Jeep. I know that Glencoe doesn't have the best kits, but some of the subjects are delightfully strange, as this twin rotor contraption is. The only problem I have with the kit is the strange pattern on the bumpers. There is a photo of it showing bumper detail, and there is no pattern. I can either leave it alone, try to hide it with putty,or carefully sand.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:45 AM UTC
The 3rd old kit is a Czech Models Me309. While it is old physically, and some of the resin parts deteriorated, it still looks like, with a little effort, turn out pretty nice.

The 4th kit is a Squadron Grumman Goose, and I like the resin seats. I wouldn't mind buying more sets of those seats in the future. As to the rest of the kit, I am impressed, and look forward to some paint scheme I'd really like.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit that tickled me is a Glencoe Piasecki Jeep. I know that Glencoe doesn't have the best kits, but some of the subjects are delightfully strange, as this twin rotor contraption is. The only problem I have with the kit is the strange pattern on the bumpers. There is a photo of it showing bumper detail, and there is no pattern. I can either leave it alone, try to hide it with putty,or carefully sand.

Hi Max.

I built the Glencoe Airjeep a few years back, it's an unusual vehicle and a good talking point when it's built up.
I have a few images in my gallery HERE . If I remember correctly I just knocked back the pattern on the bumpers a bit with some sandpaper.

Best of luck with all of your builds, the new additions to your stash are definitely all uncommon subjects.

Cheers, D
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:09 AM UTC
I tend to prefer the offbeat, the somewhat unusual, and generally not well known, not to mention a few whifs, including an 801 powered Stuka(work in progress), a few early Soviet aircraft, including an airliner and one of the little parabolic winged test planes.

Something I'd like to attempt is a scratchbuilt 1/48 Vickers Vulcan, which is what I'd like to use the seats I might be able to order(if they are available) from Squadron. I'm not sure if anyone ever built it in any scale, but, confessing that I have a soft spot in my heart for such tubby ladies, I've always wanted to eventually tackle it someday.
 _GOTOTOP