_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
On the Vickers Vulcan and the Type 232
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC
My pc is on the fritz, and with this laptop's "wonderful habit of disappearing text before I can hit "send", this is, like before, gonna be broken up into a couple posts, so, I pray you, be patient.

The Vulcan is progressing quite nicely. I have yet to lay in the longerons, though. Right now, it is nothing but basic drafting with a lot more skull sweat to go. One thing I noticed about the design is that instead of a discrete tail cone, the fuselage tapers to a point in profile, but looking down at it, the end is a flat line, giving the aircraft a beaver tail. And as this has stringers in the aft fuse, I'll be resorting to stick and tissue construction, much like the Guillow kits I cut my teeth on during those long lost halcyon days of callow youth. And yes, I'm planning on using tissue on the aft fuse, while the forward fuse will be a fiberglass shell.

More to follow
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 04:13 AM UTC
About the 232.

While there is some information out on the Vulcan, the same can't be said about the Type 232, basically because it was a paper project, with no metal at all having been cut for a prototype.

So I improvise.

This is close to one of Mitchell's other designs, the Southampton, and even bears a resemblance to it in the hull/planing surface and the empennage. So I've begun researching the Southampton for a general idea as to how the silly thing would have been put together.

I'm really looking forward to the wing, not only because it is gulled, and has 4 engines, but also the slot in the leading edge for the evaporative cooler for the engines.

This will present some challenges, but should also prove to be a lot of fun.
 _GOTOTOP