_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Rlm colours
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm currently building a hasegawa bf109g trop but I've decided not to do the scheme from the box. Anyway, rlm colours....I have been using tamiya acrylics and they don't do rlm so it seems Vallejo is the way to go. Is it ok to thin them with tamiya acryic thinner? Cheers.

Ian
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 04:11 AM UTC
Tamiya X-20A Acrylic Thinner does not go well with Vallejo Acrylics in your airbrush ... trust me. Vallejo (71.161) is the way to go. I usually add a drop-or-so of Liquitex Airbrush Medium (E Fluid) as a good measure. HTH.

—mike
Removed by original poster on 01/30/17 - 23:50:49 (GMT).
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 04:52 AM UTC
Maybe this will help

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_germany.htm

This list hasn't been up-date for some time but a quick search on line turns up lots of results . You will have to mix some of the colours needed .

Terri
iakarch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:37 AM UTC
Ian,

If your using the Vallejo Air Color no thinning is necessary, but if you feel the need its best to use the thinner from Vallejo. If you use anything else it's a gamble what the result will be to the finish or to the durability of the paint. But Do not use the Tamiya Thinner, its a totally different type of paint. Tamiya paint isn't compatible with any other brand paint.
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 02:17 PM UTC
thanks folks!

I REALLY didn't want to mix as knowing my luck I would run out of the batch before I finished and wouldn't be able to make the same again

Glad I asked re. the Tamiya thinner

wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:59 PM UTC
Here's a link to a paint conversion chart. You can pick the paint specs you want and the paint manufacturers. Keep in mind the conversions are not exact matches.

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101h.html#

If you have an IPhone or IPad the IModelKit app is handy. You can see the relative difference in the different "matches" by the different manufacturers.

If you decide to consider mixing, I have a list of formulas for Tamiya paint that I got in from a forum somewhere. Not complete but it may have the RLM's you're looking for. Mixing way too much will be a waste of course. If it looks like you're gonna be short and you haven't used it all up, mix another batch and mix it with what you have left from the 1st batch. The more of the 1st batch the better but I wouldn't go less than 50/50. It's the same as when your painting a room and you need to go to the paint store to get 1 more gallon. Mixing the 1st and 2nd batches brings the hue closer together.

PM me your email address and I'll be happy to send it to you. Or anyone else for that matter.
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:17 AM UTC
Thanks all. I ended up buying online as I have 3 luftwaffe kits so the paint will be well used
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:48 AM UTC
It seems that every paint manufacturer except Tamiya has a RLM line up.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 04:55 AM UTC
Tamiya has a few shades , but they aren't label as RLM . You do have to mix a fare bit of the shades though . Funny how the really don't . They have a lot of German subjects ...

You will like the Vallejo Air paints . I just started using then a while ago and I must say I'm hook . I do find their RLM 02 is on the dark side .

Terri
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 04:49 PM UTC
Got the paints today and all I can say is WOW! Then wow again.

The last kit I did (a P51B in aluminium - sp!) I used the tamiya thinned a bit with the tamiya thinner and I thought it was good but this stuff! Goes on like a dream even with my ham fisted approach to airbrushing

chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 03:27 AM UTC
What is nice is that some colors comes in sets. I have seen Vallejo, AK, Akan and Hataka package them that way.
 _GOTOTOP