_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WnW new releases
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:37 AM UTC
I see over at LSP WnW is releasing new kits of a Rumpler Taube and an early version Fokker D VII -- the box has Bertholds winged sword design. Nothing on the WnW website yet- these were displayed at the Nuremberg toy fair. It says 2Q 2017 at LSP, but I doubt that-- we're still waiting on the Camel.
VR, Russ
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:45 AM UTC
Russ - sent you pm - Camel was in stock and shipping today at Sprue Bros but already sold out . I think I got my order in in time .
Richard
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ - sent you pm - Camel was in stock and shipping today at Sprue Bros but already sold out . I think I got my order in in time .
Richard

Richard-- sent you a PM back-- I pre-ordered mine through Weta here in Seattle on January 2. They even charged me $11 as a "hold". But... I don't think anyone has the Camels in stock yet, including Sprue Bros. I've noted this among distributors lately-- they like to put up stuff "pre-order"-- then when those are sold out, they go to "sold out" status. Its happened to me now through HobbyLinc, PCM, and WnW (Weta) kits tree times in the last two months. Anyway, the new Taube kit looks like a real winner.
VR, Russ
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC
Being as they're going for the Taube, maybe they would think on a Curtiss D, or Wright B. No one has ever done a 'D' in plastic except for COX (a control line flyer). The 'B' was the first airplane flown across the USA. CLEAVLAND has lovely scale plans of both (Set in 1/32 is offered)

I do like Pushers...

Captn Tommy
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Richard

Richard-- sent you a PM back-- I pre-ordered mine through Weta here in Seattle on January 2. They even charged me $11 as a "hold". But... I don't think anyone has the Camels in stock yet, including Sprue Bros. I've noted this among distributors lately-- they like to put up stuff "pre-order"-- then when those are sold out, they go to "sold out" status. Its happened to me now through HobbyLinc, PCM, and WnW (Weta) kits tree times in the last two months. Anyway, the new Taube kit looks like a real winner.
VR, Russ

Sprue Bros came through- Camel arrived today ! Will post pics in "what the postman brought " as soon as Photobucket cures itself -can't access it on any of my devices.
Richard
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being as they're going for the Taube, maybe they would think on a Curtiss D, or Wright B. No one has ever done a 'D' in plastic except for COX (a control line flyer). The 'B' was the first airplane flown across the USA. CLEAVLAND has lovely scale plans of both (Set in 1/32 is offered)

I do like Pushers...

Captn Tommy

Tom,
I'd love to see some early "civil" aircraft from WnW, but I don't know if we'll ever see that-- I think they are heavily influenced by the WWII "armed" or military variants.
I also have a bad feeling (probably just me) regarding their branching out past the shores of NZ for distributorships. I've seen other companies do this, and fall flat. Given the decline of modeling among the youth, I sure hope they manage to keep up their business model. I think we can look at their use of Weta, Hannants and Sprue Bros. in both ways-- either they are getting more business then they can meet demand, or they are reaching out to try and sustain demand. I think only time will tell. Part of that seems to be to make things with guns on them in bright colors, as they seem to be more popular subjects. I'd love to see a Jenny, a Sopwith "Baby", Short 184 seaplane, a Bleriot or Antoinette, but only time will tell. While I'm philosophizing about WnW future, I've noted a certain bent to take late war aircraft and delve into the early post-war period (Snipe, DH9, even the new Camel) which is interesting, perhaps with the new early flyers like the Taube, we'll see them go in the opposite direction as well, but there are still a lot of "gunned" thingies left-- like the DH4, Dolphin (my personal favorite), and a bunch of Caproni's, Phoenix's, SVA's and Brandenburg's from the "southern front" that seem to be totally ignored (so far). Oh well, I suppose we'll see what the future brings.
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..Sprue Bros came through- Camel arrived today ! Will post pics in "what the postman brought " as soon as Photobucket cures itself -can't access it on any of my devices.
Richard

Richard,
Boy am I miffed... as I said, Weta charged our card for the pre-order back on Jan 2nd-- and still no Camel, what's up with that? And considering WnW still has it as "coming soon" on their website, I'm doubly miffed at the whole deal. So who's got this screwed up-- WnW or Weta? It appears SB is again "out of stock" too. This is no way to run a business. Think I'll ping Richard Alexander again.
VR, Russ
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom,
I'd love to see some early "civil" aircraft from WnW, but I don't know if we'll ever see that-- I think they are heavily influenced by the WWI "armed" or military variants.
I'd love to see a Jenny, a Sopwith "Baby", Short 184 seaplane, a Bleriot or Antoinette, but only time will tell... A lot of "gunned" thingies left-- like the DH4, Dolphin (my personal favorite), and a bunch of Caproni's, Phoenix's, SVA's and Brandenburg's from the "southern front" that seem to be totally ignored (so far). Oh well, I suppose we'll see what the future brings.
VR, Russ

Agreed

As to the kids Glencoe brought out 'new' old Aurora kits very simple no interior (covered By a pilot figure) I just happened to pull out my Ancient Aurora P-40, grapefruit rivets and pilot a molded head and shoulders (suitably flight uniformed) maybe 15 parts including bombs. 1950's vintage (you could sell it for five bucks?)(maybe) and start getting the kids back in the hobby.

something quick to build and play with.

Captn Tommy
 _GOTOTOP