_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Vallejo liquid mask
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:24 AM UTC
Folks,

Has anyone used this?

I thought it time I moved on from tounge sticking out and holding breath while trying to paint a canopy by hand. Bought some of this. Applied 3 coats and let dry for 24 hours but when I set about it with a new blade the whole lot came off

Is there a trick to it?

Cheers

Ian
EHAM0624
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 200 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Ian,

I use it and more or less like it, to be honest a paint mask of some sort i found is faster and cleaner but more expensive but if it's a lot of windows,.. Because the way i use it is with a wooden toothpick (for applying and removing) first i drop a little of the stuff on pice of plastic than i will mix it with a couple of drops of water. The mixed solution i apply with the toothpick drop for drop on the canopy ( you don't need much) and because of the raised paneling the stuff stays on the clear part, mind you it dries pretty fast (make sure you don't apply more than needed as you will easily remove it while applying it). So after (spray) painting i remove it with the same toothpick as there is already some mask on the top i found that it makes it easy to remove it from the canopy maybe apply a bit of rubbing to get it off but normal it all goes off easy . I never used a blade (to afraid to scratch the canopy).
I hope this helps
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:12 AM UTC
Cheers! I never thought of applying it like that
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:15 AM UTC
One other thing - i dipped the canopy in future (well the available equivilent these days) - should I not?
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:48 AM UTC
Ian, since the most liquid masks are based on ammonia it's not the best idea to use an acrylic solvent as a base on the canopy.
Those two will definitely react with each other and leave maybe a bad result. With an ammonia based cleaner you can easily remove acrylic paint.
Thomas
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ian, since the most liquid masks are based on ammonia it's not the best idea to use an acrylic solvent as a base on the canopy.
Those two will definitely react with each other and leave maybe a bad result. With an ammonia based cleaner you can easily remove acrylic paint.
Thomas

No problems with Micro-Mask by Microscale over Pledge/Future, Micro-Mask is not based on Ammonia like the old Mask-ol was-- I use it frequently over Future coated surfaces. Not sure what's in the Vallejo stuff.
VR, Russ
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 04:37 PM UTC
I'll second that! I tried out a bunch of different masking fluids (Humbrol, a few from artist's shops, RC car stuff) and they all affected the paint below them, all except Micro Mask! You can always check with your nose: if there is this ammonia/rubber smell to it, it will probably cause trouble!

Magnus
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:51 PM UTC
I tried some months ago but haven't removed it yet. Interested in other's experience.
 _GOTOTOP