_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Biplane woes.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 05:10 AM UTC
Ok so I'm not a beginner but we all have to learn so...

I was making a biplane. Eduard albatross d3 in 1/48, and when it came to the struts and wing assembly everything fell apart. I had achieved a fantastic woodgrain on the fuselage and had all the wires attached for the pull through rigging technique and it all just failed into a big mess..

What tips do you have for ensuring that can help me to avoid this problem next time and for others to avoid it completely .
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:54 AM UTC
You can get a biplane jig if you're going to do lots of biplanes, or you can make your own jig out of Lego.

Another idea is to make a pattern of the upper wing in cardboard with holes for the pegs in the top of the struts. Glue in the bottoms to the fuselage and lower wing, and then fit the cardboard over the tops of the struts. You can fasten it with tape to keep it from flopping around. Once the struts harden, you can then glue on the top wing and run your rigging lines.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:12 AM UTC
Here's a method that works for me--- I look carefully at the kit to see if the main supporting struts can be glued to either the lower wings or upper wings, or to the fuselage-- whatever makes sense. I then take those main supporting struts and drill a .05 hole in the end of each strut for a length of fine brass wire. I then drill corresponding sockets into the wing or fuselage. I usually give the assembly a day or two to harden. I then place the rigging into pre-drilled holes in the lower surfaces or upper surfaces, whichever makes more sense. I then carefully attach the top wing, again letting it set for a day or so. When the wings are firmly attached, I place any additional struts, usually there is some wiggle room to slightly bend these. For example, I might glue the two outboard struts and the two inboard struts to the top wing of a SPAD XIII, then glue that assembly to the assembled fuselage and lower wing. I run the rigging through corresponding holes in the fuselage and lower wing. Then I glue on the upper wing, saving the intermediate interplane struts to be added after the upper and lower wing are together. It really depends on the engineering of the kit. Sometimes along the way, I use a very small drop of CA glue at the strut/wing joint--you can even do this before the styrene cement sets. This will give instant firmness to the strut/wing joins. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP