_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Help a target tragic!! Pleease!! AD1-H
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

As you can guess by the topic title & my user name I normally only deal in armour in all it's beauty, something about real steel & all...

Seriously though, I am also a Tragic ground pounder as the only wingy things or whirly birds I feel the pull of are anti targets..go figure!!

To give you an Idea I currently have a Stuka G1 / G2, Sturmovik & an Able Dog to make, along with a Hip or two all in 1/32nd, 1/35th, anyhoo I digress.

I have the Zoukei-Mura A-1H & want to make the Mig Killing 409, so am looking for any refernce picture's for her & just in general for weathering etc.

Also looking for engine wiring pic's etc,plus can the wings be made to work between folded & down?? If not & I did one folded & one down,would the folded side handle a weapons load or should it be left empty??

Last but not least would leaving one side of the engine nacelle, & maybe a cut out panel or two on the starboard side show enough of the cockpit detail etc?? And area behind the pit?

Cheers for your help
Mike
Ps Nam era navy birds just rock!!!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 06:05 AM UTC
Here's a publicity shot of your subject's squadron mate. It's generally pretty clean, but as you can see the Wright 3350 had a bit of a smoking problem:

They also dripped oil. A lot of oil. If a 3350 wasn't leaking, there was something dreadfully wrong. Here's a reference shot of a contemporary USAF Spad showing you what the nose and centre section usually looked like:

Here's what Google has to say about MiG killing Spads.

The wing folds were strong enough to fold with bangy things attached:

These are some nice piccies of Wright 3350s in all their greasy (or plastic) glory for your enjoyment.

The cockpit is relatively small compared to the rest of the airframe. Leaving a side open won't show much, but there's lots of opportunity to do something like this:
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hi Jessie,
Many thanks for the reply & links certainly gives me a great jumping of point from.
Cheers Mike
 _GOTOTOP