_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
The "Snowball" Heuy -DFA Campaign Entry
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:44 PM UTC
So here is the story behind the pictures.
As you may (or not) have seen in previous postings i was building the Academy UH-1C Huey Frog for the Death From Above Campaign. Last weeks here in Greece the weather has been real bad with snow and dark skies which i thought it would be the best to model..(i just thought of it)
So having finished the superdetailed interior of the Huey, seats, panels, naked poster ..everything previous Saturday morning i decide to paintit. The pre shading procedure had lasted 1 week dried very nice and everything predicted one more bug success!!!! So the guy wakes up in 7 in the morning and at 10.30 the main body is finished painted. Left aside on the bench and open my clues my other stuff to finish up external details, some more improvements on the engine area and stuff like that. Without me knowing a very friendly couple comes along in house to see us and have fun with the snow and have a coffee,
The lady of the couple to make me a nice surprise, opens the door of my modelling nest and produces a 3 second nightmare for me . She throws a huge (man really huge ) snowball to me about the size of a man's head (with brain in it). As i turn on my chair the xacto and pliers fall from my hands, and i see the white nightmare coming. I try to get the ball with my head, but it was a long well measured shot. It comes over my head and lands...........where else. Right in the middle of the bench falling half onthe Huey , and the rest on the open glue bottles, thinners, tools, small parts, doors of the huey, decals, and...all this...... You imagine what happened,Snow melting everywhereon the bench water going everywhere, glue spilled all over , small parts dissappeared in a minute , and the nervous breakdown came and go a million times. Just 2 months of work...so ...?? The lady seeing my reaction of getting frost understands the amount of mistake and freezees also...I couldnt call her names , or even beat her to death (i am generous with this spicies!!!) I tell her gently to go out and leave me get over the heart attack, and she gives the final hit. Come on leave it as it is and come to play snowballs out . You ll fix it later....Spilled glue all over ..fix it later...fresh painted Huey ..fix it later....broken heart..fix it later...Death From Above Campaign...quit quit quit ...eject...eject...eject.....
#:-)
I gently took her out to get coffe with my wife , who hopefully understood the size of the damage and didnt try to tell me " ohh come on you ll make another one!!!" as usually they say ..

So the last two eeks have been a huge try to get the patient recovered.Getting the glues off, Repainting, scratching lost parts, try to make up the damage and all this. Hopefully in this effort i had the support of Brother Engin aka "Graywolf" who is also a doctor (not a Huey doctor as myself !!) and gave all ethical support i meeded.
So thats the story of a unique Huey called "Snowball".
I leave it under your eyes, and if sometime sky gets a lil blue i ll have even better pictures. More stuff in the gallery as always Guys .

Thansk for your time , i hopei entertained u !!!!!

**** Just for the story i have added details in the interrior (some wiring, improvements on the seats, and the floor, and a lot of work on the engine area, even in the side that is covered bu the door!!, and also reworked the doors that were just a sheet of plastic and made them 3d.
It was a nice experience even though the nightmare, i decided to make a series of 1/35 helos. Next come the Mil Mi 24 - Hind and a Blackhawk, i ll also plan to do a Apache and a Cobra. More stories to come

Costas
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:36 PM UTC
looks good costas nice and grubby dirt look did you use pastels for the dust?
sorry to hear of your wifes mistake I hope she buys you another kit to make up for her error
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
Thanks Mikeli125. The pastels used for dirtying up was Maimeri's and Faber Castell's . black grey white ochre brown, similiar to OD Green and some more i dont recall. The mistake was not my wifes actually " cause she knows and cares" but a very good friend of ours (actually we have given name to her lil son )
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi there

I've had my fair share of modelling accidents... but I've never suffered a snowball attack!

Nice job repairing the damage! The wired-up engine looks really neat!

At least you've finished DFA... I only remembered it the other day and have just started my entry! - if I finish on time, it will be the quickest kit I've built since I was about 12 years old...

All the best

Rowan
janwillem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC

hello,
what a story!!!
and you didn't kill her??
i was wondering... what brand makes a Mil Mi 24 - Hind in 1/35??
could you tell me?
thanx
a lot
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
:-) Women really do, do the most stupid things, sometimes
Didn't stop you producing a wonderful chopper though, looks superb
Mal
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:36 AM UTC
I believe someone said that out of adversity comes greatness. No different here. Great model, Major Goose.
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hello,
what a story!!!
and you didn't kill her??
i was wondering... what brand makes a Mil Mi 24 - Hind in 1/35??
could you tell me?
thanx
a lot

Jan you'll be looking out for the Trumpeter hind which is starting to hit the shops around about now I think here for a quick look at the sprues :[
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:10 PM UTC
Thanks guys for all your kind words, on my build. The beautifull lady got off the danger , thats the truth, and the Huey recovered , so ..everything is ok ...

The Hind is the trumpeter one as told and as reviewd by Terry Ashley seems to be one heck of a model to build. It will be a lill pricey maybe over 100$ but i believe it deserve it....so start saving ..
 _GOTOTOP