_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Model Cellar being Pirated.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC
Paul at Model Cellar has been advised that his figure kits are being ripped off and repopped for profit. Any form of piracy is unacceptable and should be punished! Paul has been a regular contributer of review items this site and it would be a good call to stand with him.

Pirated figure kits
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:39 AM UTC
Pirating is the bane of the small business. There should be heavy penalties for those who knowingly do this wretched thing.

Karl
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:29 AM UTC
The best penalties are those handed down by an informed public, who can then choose not to support the pirates by doing business with them.

If the pirates find their stock not selling it hits them where it huts the most.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:55 AM UTC
I think a more traditional walking of the plank or keel hauling is in order.
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:56 PM UTC
I followed the link and read the story and saw the picts and saw the guy has a Facebook page. This Paul should post his evidence on that facebook page and show this guy's followers, customers and visitors the underhanded stuff he is doing. It seems that social media gets the word out faster and to more people.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:36 PM UTC
Please could you provide a head on image of his product next to yours to aid in identification please.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi all

Nothing changes! I really sympathise with Paul, because I know just how it feels to be the victim of piracy; I gave up producing Blueprint Models back in the '90s because I was being ripped off so badly (some of the knock-offs were still being sold openly years later), and we lost a number of other really talented small resin producers around that time who just said "F*** it!" and threw in the towel.

I suppose one blessing of the rise of the Internet and social media is that it's much easier these days to blow the whistle and let people know what's happening. With that in mind, it would have been good to have seen this submitted as a News story to ensure maximum exposure, rather than the more limited audience in the Forum alone.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:41 AM UTC
Actually Paul says he was going to contact you. I am surprised it has not appeared elsewhere. The offending company has had products reviewed here.
 _GOTOTOP