_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Fixing up a cheap airline model - 1st project
MrBeverage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hi. New member here, and always wanted to get into this hobby.

I just took a trip to China using Finnair, and was so impressed with their A350 service that I impulse bought the 1:250 scale model from the in-flight shopping catalog.

Now I don't know what I was really expecting paying only 20eur for a model, but I at least expected the colors to be correct:

(Also, the F logos on the winglets are far to low, but I'm not sure anything reasonable could be done about those.)

Lots of burrs all over the model, and the engines come with a ridiculously bright set of fan blades:

The A350 does not have a external vertical stabilizer seals like the A330/340 - that will have to be pained over. Also the slots to accept the vertical stabilizers (also gray instead of white) are much to small to accept them and will need to be widened.

This seems like it might be a good starter for practicing some basic painting, considering my only other option is to hold onto it until next time I transit Helsinki and demand a refund.

I've been digging through the beginners section and watching Youtube videos to get started, but would appreciate this forum's advice.

First order of business would be burr removal I'd imagine, and that shouldn't be much more then a little filing and sanding (800 grit minimum?).

For painting I would probably have to go acrylic (large studio apartment, and I hear it's rather stinky). A lot of coats (4-5) on top of a light primer with the leading edges masked seems from what I can tell is the way to go, followed by a clear coat.

Fixing the incorrectly sized slots for the vertical stabilizers looks like it will just require files, patience, and constant checking - filling in errors if I remove too much looks quite complicated.

Painting over the vertical stabilizer covers could be problematic. I don't expect to get a perfect match on the white, and there it could stick out like a sore thumb. If not the color difference wouldn't there be thickness difference that would be visible as well? I might just have to live with that error.

Worth a go? Or should I just wait until I transit HEL next and get a refund?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 05:49 PM UTC
Rather than painting over those stabiliser seals, try gently sanding off the existing paint first. Rather than try and widen the stabiliser slots, try sanding down the tabs instead. It's easier to control how much you remove on a tab than a slot

26 Decal does a 1/144 Finnair sheet. If you contact Ray, he might be able to resize the artwork to fit your model, allowing you to do a complete repaint.

Welcome to Aeroscale! I hope you enjoy your stay
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:19 PM UTC
Oh, dear. In poking around the 26 Decals site, I found the disappointing news that Ray has stopped resizing his art

That means that you'd be stuck with doing the Revell 1/144 kit if you want to use Ray's decal sheet. Oh darn, however shall you cope?
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, dear. In poking around the 26 Decals site, I found the disappointing news that Ray has stopped resizing his art

That means that you'd be stuck with doing the Revell 1/144 kit if you want to use Ray's decal sheet. Oh darn, however shall you cope?

And so the stash building begins innocently enough-
 _GOTOTOP