_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fokker Dr.I Baron von Richthofen
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
Not sure if I spelled his name correctly- But getting ready to do the Revell of Germany kit. Any comments about the kit?.. The plane looks VERY RED. I was going to use MM Acryl Insignia red... would that be the correct shade?

Thanx :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
:-) JackFlash is probably your man for this, (or Rocket Rowan aka Merlin) but I wouldn't imagine Insignia red to be the correct shade. I'm affraid I don't know, but if JackFlash hasn't dropped by send him a PM :-)
Mal
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:57 PM UTC
Greetings all; Holdfast; Thanks for the kind words.
propboy44265; bright red is NOT the best color to work with for any version of Rittmeister Manfred Albrecht von RICHTHOFEN's Triplanes. (Marked with to some extent in red he flew 114/17, 127/17, 152/17, 161/17 477/17 and 425/17.} I will assume your going for 425/17 as it appeared on the day he was killed, April 21, 1918?

I use Testors Insignia Red ( 8 parts) with Testors Brown #1166 ( 3 parts.) The Testors Brown is a light color with yellow/orange terra cotta color. More a medium brown. This creates a very flat 'Indian Lake Red' that R. Rimell avowed in his Windsock special 1988. Thoroughly mixed its great. I keep a bottle of this mixture around and use it mixed with other colours to lighten or darken as needed. When you do it its the unmistakable blood red. Also A. Toelle has seen good samples of MvR fabric (German 50 count calendared fabric) he seems to agree. The information we have on 425/17 can be verified in 'Richthofen' by the late A.E.Ferko Albatros Pub. Ltd.

propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC
thanks Jackflash for the great pics and paint advice.. You must be a ww1 plane buff...and yes I am doing his last plane...What a site!, I could have never found that info just by searching the www
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hey thanks also. I am thinkg baout when I start doing planes coming up here in the spring, I am thinking about starting with My Fokker Von Richthofen.

Insignia Red and brown. But what is a "part" that you divided the paint into?

Thanks! :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

But what is a "part" that you divided the paint into?

Chip, the "part" can be anything, a drop or a bucket. 8 buckets Testors Insignia Red 3 Buckets Testors Brown #1166. You will of course have plenty to share, with this method. I would use a syringe, that way you can get accurate amounts, if each part was 1ml, that would give you 11ml, close to the amount in a Humbrol tin (14ml)
Mal
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 01:26 AM UTC
Bringing up one of our oldest threads for a fellow modeler.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
Ray Rimell of Albatros Pub. had an article on Richtofen's plane in the ealy 80's or late 70's Scale Modeler mag. (I am in work and can not pull the mag from my specials drawer). having read it numerous times I recall he suggested a vermilion color red based on a patch of Richthofen's Dr.I fabric. He gave a Methuen color code as I recall. Other than the Alb. D.II and the Halb. D.II/ III Von R flew I am not that interested in the Baron's career but this article was great.
I will try and find it.
Captn Tommy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 03:22 PM UTC
It was in a Winsock Special (1988)and the article covered most iof not all of the aircraft assigned to MvR. Later in the issue a colour chip reference was given as "Indian Lake Red". That is how I came up with my version.

For the Fokker Dr.I factory streaking and undersurface colour:

The entire skeletal airframe was covered with the same fabric. The undersurfaces were painted the blue color that slightly varied (Methuen codes 22 B 3.5 to 24 A 5). The undersurfaces were painted with one coat sky blue. After varnishing (to waterproof the fabric) the color shifted to turquoise 25 B/C 5. On the bottom edge of the fuselage and top edge of the tailplane, the turquoise wrapped around the edged 20mm.

The sides of the fuselage and the top surfaces had the Fokker camouflage (greenish color streaks) applied then the bottom surfaces were painted the blue color. There was no over-paint in the top surfaces from the factory just the green streaked camouflage.

The upper surface color was olive-brown and varied from very dark to very light. The fabric on the wings, tailplane and rudder were given two coats of clear dope, one cocoat of the olive -brown streaking, the fuselage was given one coat of clear dope and one color coat of olive streaking. All fabric surfaces were given a final coat of varnish to waterproof the fabric. The Metheun colors codes are: dark, 4F8; medium, 4E5; and light 4D8.

These colors were coded by Paul S. Leaman from fabric samples taken from Fok.DR.I 144/17.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:32 AM UTC
Probably the same article but mine was in Scale Modeler in 1975, I think, I had the mag in my hand this week end and now cannot remember the month. Mr. Rimell's photo research inspired me to study b&w photos more carefully.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 11:59 PM UTC
Well, got home last night and dug out the Mag; only slightly wrong, It is "Scale Models" issue Vol. 4 No. 4, April 1973. April was a month before I graduated from college, a long time ago.

Enjoy the day, have fun, be careful

Captn Tommy
 _GOTOTOP