_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Where to Start Again?
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:25 PM UTC
Well,
Given that I've been out of this since... 2009 by the looks of it...
I had to go scrounging through old threads to see where I left off.

It seems I have three models that I started but never completed.

These are (in no particular order)...
- Roden SE5a (Hisso) 1/32 that I was building for the 2008 Roden 1/32 group build.
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/128943#1067254

- Karaya Supermarine Seamew 1/72
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/115668#952428

- Hasagawa Boeing P-12E 1/32
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/143743#1201247

Quite obviously, the best place for me to get my mojo back will be to finish these three.

But where to from there?
Here's some I pulled out from my stash just now (including the three mentioned above.

Eduard Bristol Fighter, Eduard Sopwith Camels (x3), Roden SE5a (1/72 and 1/48), Special Hobby Spad VII, Blue Max Sopwith Camel (that's going back a bit!) Roden Sopwith Camel in 1/72, Eduard Sopwith Tripelane (Black Flight), Hi-Tech Sopwith Snipe and Gavia Pfalz E.1

That should keep me going for a while.

Cheers,

Hugh
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:43 PM UTC
I'd say start with something uncomplicated to get back into the swing of things. The Gavia Pfalz sounds just about right.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:09 PM UTC
I am looking at an Aurora or Glencoe kit to get the ball rolling... putting some detail on the Engine... to start. I also have a stash to beat the band.

Enjoy

Captn Tommy
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi again Hugh

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Seamew and P-12E finished. The builds are an excellent vintage and should have matured nicely if you've kept them well.

All the best

Rowan
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:38 PM UTC
P-12 please! Double please! A few years ago I finished my Hasegawa F4B-- with a completely scratched cockpit and an engine borrowed from a Williams Brothers kit-- it was one of the most rewarding builds I've ever done-- I'd love to see your P-12. But.... it looks like that SE5 is screaming "finish me...finish me!" Too-- maybe a dual build?
VR, Russ
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:40 AM UTC
Welcome Back Hugh! Missed seeing you here!

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:53 AM UTC
Well Hugh , Jessica has a good point . Starting something fresh always gets the mojo going and a back build will work it's way in . On the other hand would really like to see the P-12 . If it's in the budget maybe even a brand new kit . This works for me some times depending on the subject .

My latest mojo engery boost was Meng's new tooled P-51D
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/255936&page=1

I'm sure what every you choose to build will get those juices flowing once more .

Terri
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:50 PM UTC
The Boeing is looking good. I'll probably get that wrapped up and then go back on to the Roden SE and the Seamew.

The SE needs some repairs. Sometime since 2009 it's been knocked around and there is a little hangar rash and a few bits coming adrift that need addressing.

I should probably try to build the Boeing straight from the box. It's a VERY old kit, but the decals look to be quite sound and useable.

The Seamew also has suffered a little during all the moving around over the years.
It's 1/72 as well as being resin... A true limited run job.

In the mean time, all my old modelling tools are packed away somewhere... Those that I still have.

I'll have to stock up again on glues, paint thinners and decal setting solutions... Who knows if all my jars of enamel paints are still any good.

I've invested in a new cutting mat and an excel knife with a few #11 blades, and some medium and thin CA and some styrene cement.

Reading through my old threads was interesting. I seemed to have a lot of time on my hands!... I certainly spent a great deal of it modelling and writing about it. Not sure I'm going to be able to get that same pace up again... We'll see I guess.

So, look for a new thread sometime next week concentrating on the Boeing.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:59 PM UTC
Well, a search through the garage has brought to the surface a bunch of tools, jars of Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics, my old compressor and three airbrushes... Two of which are in perfect working order... The third looks like it was put away eight years ago not cleaned... Currently soaking in denatured alcohol.

What's the shelf life of Acrylics? They look like they are ok... Those that I can get the lids off of.

Cheers,

Hugh
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's the shelf life of Acrylics? They look like they are ok... Those that I can get the lids off of.

Cheers,

Hugh

I don't know about acrylics but I was in a similar situaiton with my Humbrol enamels when I re-started modelling. They had been stored for 14? years and all works brilliantly. Some of those jars are 30 years old and I am still using them today.

I guess that with a good stirr those paints will still work

_GOTOTOP