_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Hit Kit kits
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 09:27 PM UTC
Hello Aviators.

I'm looking at a couple of 1/72 Hit Kit kits. I have my eye on an Albatross D.III. I've never built one, not seen one out of the box, and have no idea about them. My searching has come up a little dry, so I ask upon this vast pool of knowledge to see if you can shed some light on them.

Are they worth buying ($12)? Thanks!
MJWard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:20 AM UTC
Put an S on the front of the first word of the name, that'll give you the idea...

Best
Matthew
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Put an S on the front of the first word of the name, that'll give you the idea...

Best
Matthew

I bought it, and a Revell D.III in the same scale. Both for $19 shipped. I'll do a side by side review of them.

Also, bummer
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hit Kit is a limited run company so the shake and bake still kit you will not find and will have your work cut out for you . However , they have far better detail then Revell WW 1 kits .

Terri
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Best
Matthew

LOL - I love this hobby

Cheers
(Tooheys)

MJWard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 06:51 AM UTC
Sorry, couldn't help myself, I've built a few of their C series WW1 biplanes, AFTER I've excavated the parts from some rather thick flash ! Couple of the sprues looked like vacform kits. In places the flash was almost as thick as the kit parts... Will say they assembled rather nicely after the flash and other mould imperfections were dealt with. They must have got better as they went along if Terri's comments are correct (and why wouldn't they be, everybody's experience with short run kits is different). Mine were like early Pegasus or Merlin limited run kits ! Got mine from Squadron ages ago, before the postage twixt the US and Oz went straospherically silly pricewise...

Best
Matthew
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:58 PM UTC
They say that inside a rock there is a statue. It just takes a sculptor to dig it out. Inside a Hit Kit lump of plastic, there is a beautiful model.

I Built their LVG C.V eons ago:

MY EFFORTS IN 1/72 SCALE

Mikko
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They say that inside a rock there is a statue. It just takes a sculptor to dig it out. Inside a Hit Kit lump of plastic, there is a beautiful model.

I Built their LVG C.V eons ago:

MY EFFORTS IN 1/72 SCALE

Mikko

Bravo.

Beautiful work there. I doubt mine will do as well.
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:01 AM UTC
Oh my Holy God...

MJWard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi Again Mate

Errm... Hate to say it but.... don't say I didn't warn you ! Just put an S in front of the first word of the name... It won't help excavate the kit parts, but it WILL make you feel better - guaranteed !

Best Albatros D-III (oef) in 72nd is found in a Roden Box... Think you've found out why ... As far as Hit Kits go, that's a good one, mine had two of the quarters defined by the main cross shaped sprue filled in with heavy flash, they looked like vacforms !

Best
Matthew of bitter experiences 😄🙃
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:47 PM UTC
One half of the engine looks like it is just injection molded vomit, and the parts encased in the flash near the center are hopelessly fused to the sprue (the flash is like 1/16 thick or more).

#straighttothebin
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One half of the engine looks like it is just injection molded vomit, and the parts encased in the flash near the center are hopelessly fused to the sprue (the flash is like 1/16 thick or more).

#straighttothebin

straighttothebin...

This, MISTER, is where you grow a backbone! Ya SAIL into the Gale. YA SEE THE ELEPHANT!!

So pick up that Number 10 and hone the blade and start carving!
You Can Do It... 'cause You are a MODLER!

Captn Tommy,

“Once again, Mr. Phelps, if you or any in your team are caught the Secretary will disavow all knowledge…..” The Man on the Tape.
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:28 PM UTC
I understand--but in a day of CNC-slide-molding-goodness, why must I suffer? I think I'd be better off trying to carve one out of a block of balsa.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 01:54 AM UTC
Then again... you can always cover the engine and make the Alb. an Austro-Hungarian D-III

Captn Tommy

Poop happens… if ya survive ya walks away, wida good story. -- Green Bob; Adventures of Green Bob and the Monk
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 04:35 AM UTC
Don't give up. Contact John Adams from Aeroclub and ask for a copy of E047.

You can find contact information for John at a particular Brit Modeller website.
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 04:45 AM UTC
Oh--it's way beyond just the engine. There are cowling (?) parts that would be easier to just hog out of a styrene block than fix. It did have some nice PE that I may use, and I may use the wings on my Revell kit. This kit, though--is just done.

If anyone wants this styrene blob, PM me your address and PP me $6 for shipping and you can have it. Otherwise, I'm going to cannibalize it.
 _GOTOTOP