_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Armstrong Whitworth F.K. 8 MID - Copper State
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Wielkopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thanks to the CSM team I have a huge pleasure of building the brand new F.K. 8 kits. I must admit that the number, as well as the quality of details, is breathtaking and if the fit as good as in the case of the Caudron model I`m expecting a pure joy. The decals have been designed by Melius Manu - you may probably know them since they produce high-quality custom made decals - and printed by Cartograf. There are two sheets - the main one with cockades etc. and a tiny one with an absolutely gorgeous prop logo and a nameplate (printed using metallic colours). The prop logos are pieces of art in my opinion! What`s more in the premium edition you get a resin Beardmore engine and superb metal exhausts. Both kits represent different versions of the plane: Mid and Late. The most visible difference between them are the huge radiators and Oleo undercarriage in Mid version. The nose in the model is designed as PE - so taking engine covers is super simple. Due to its complicated nature there are spares in brass PE sheet!!! In total there are three separate sheets of the PE!
The wire fittings are there (yeah!) The instruction sheet is very clear and printed in colour. I think the most colourful schemes are already in both kits, so I`ll have a problem with choosing which one I want to build

The overall quality of the kit seems superb so it`s high time to build both of them right away

An inbox contents:

xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 01:51 PM UTC

Time has NOT been on my side lately.
The kit comes together brilliantly, the fit is so good that parts stick together without glue. WnW builders are probably used to that but for me, it`s something totally new.
Here`s the part of the cockpits. Some more to come in no time (at least I hope so

SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 04:10 PM UTC
Looking very good, looking forward to see more as it progresses.

Thanks
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi Filip

Fantastic work as usual! I'm a little bit behind you on my build - time at the workbench has been at a premium here too. But the decks are clearing slowly but surely, so I hope to make some more progress soon.

All the best

Rowan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
I don`t know if there`s an edit option. I post all the pics once again hence the Photobucket`s ransom policy

xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 06:56 PM UTC
Here`s another update. I`ve done the absolutely superb instrument panel and the seat. I`ve also added some control wires. The instrument panel decals are the best ones I`ve had the pleasure to use so far. They fit like a charm and they are almost readable. MeliusManu has done a great job here. The kit is a true joy to build so far and I don`t expect it to change.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hi again Filip

It's looking fantastic!

All the best

Rowan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:47 PM UTC
Many thanks Merlin!
In the meanwhile, I`m working on the Beardmore 160HP resin engine. I think it`s very nice with all the details like the spark plugs and the PE rocker arms.
The plastic one is also very decent. There is one thing that made my heart beat faster with joy - the little nameplate decal printed on a separate sheet - I think becuase there are some metallic colours used.
The engine in the pictures is built OOB with an extensive weathering. Now, I`m planning to add some wires, pipes and an oil tank - which will be similar to the Beardmore used with the FE2B flying replica. I use the pictures of the latter taken by Jamo_kiwi.
What do you think - may I use them and apply an analogy to the F.K.?
It`s important because I want to leave some of the cowling off to show the engine.
The resin Beardmore is great but pictures show a lot of spots, where I need to do touch ups.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi Filip

Lovely work again! I was also struck by how good the styrene engine looks when I reviewed the kits, but the resin version is a gem - and the Premium edition exhaust stack is almost beyond belief!

I've got a day off work tomorrow, so I hope to get a bit of modelling done. Trouble is... I've got too many projects on the go, all fighting for attention. Now, there's a change...

All the best

Rowan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:08 PM UTC
Thanks, Merlin!
This kit is really superb - everything comes together nicely and almost without putty. I`ve started to add plumbing and wiring to the Beardmore. The right side is almost done, now I need to work on the right side.

xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 - 01:13 PM UTC
Another small update - I`ve scratched the oil tank since there are no pictures of the port of the engine bay of F.K.8 (at least to my knowledge) I had to figure things out on my own.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 - 06:41 PM UTC
Stunning work!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi again Filip

That engine is looking magnificent!

I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to progress my build at all, but I did put in a few hours on a little surprise project that's going reasonably well (touch wood!). It's usually the kiss of death if I do a thread on what I'm working on, so I'm tempted to keep it under wraps until it's finished.

All the best

Rowan
PRH001
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 05:01 AM UTC
You're doing some lovely work on your FK 8. I'll enjoy seeing how this project progresses.

Cheers,
Paul H
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 10:42 PM UTC
Thanks, guys! I use my leave as constructively as I can... Another small but important update. I`ve managed to prepare the cowling elements for the paint job. I must admit the nose cowling is time-consuming but well rewarding at the end. I simply love the AW logos. Again everything falls into its place. Just notice the small nuts in one part of the side cowling and the holes to accept them in the other. WOW!

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi again Filip

Fantastic work again! It's great to see the cowls folded and shaped and looking so good - they are the parts that might scare people on this model.

All the best

Rowan
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 - 02:11 AM UTC
@Filip - that engine and mount are out of this world, I am amazed by every update. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 04:55 PM UTC
Many thanks for your kind words!
This model is a true joy to build and it`s quite biggish I`ve glued the cowling, leaving the top off to show the engine. I`ve painted it with my mixture of Tamiya`s Olive Drab (PC 10) and Ocean Grey (Battleship Grey). There`s also some shading which might not be visible in the pictures. Now the extremely pleasant moment lies ahead - putting it all together.

CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 08:11 PM UTC
PC-10

Interesting color of PC10, Knowing it is equal parts yellow ochre and lamp black I would not have thought it would be so, But then there were hundreds of manufacturers of the finish or the various dopes. It could be anything from browns to greens

the chocolate looks great, the model outstanding. Love the engine work.

Captn Tommy
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 08:14 PM UTC
I am going to use the alligator clip method to work on my engines.

thanks

Captn Tommy
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 12:57 AM UTC
The alligator clip really makes your life easier ;-)
My progress is relatively bigger than usual because the kit is great! I put the Cartograf`s decals as it is easy to guess their quality is superb. I`ve chosen the most colourful scheme (and the most popular one ) The struts fittings are in place along with some other details. I`ve weathered the bottom of both wings. The weathering appears exaggerated in the pictures, in reality, it`s very subtle. Now I`m going to weather the PC10 covered surfaces along with the cowling.

xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:01 PM UTC
I`ve cut the ailerons to make them look as separate surfaces. I`ve scratched the Rotherham pump and made most of the rigging. Gee, you can see how much is to be corrected in the pics...
I really like the wheels decals - they`re very well designed. I`ve also painted the Cooper bombs.
Not much work left till she`s finished.
I really fell in love with the Big Ack.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi Filip

It's looking superb as expected! It's funny - I actually logged on all set to ask if anyone had any advice for a good PC10 colour and you and Tom have already posted very useful pointers.

All the best

Rowan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:45 PM UTC
Thanks Merlin, glad to be an assistance with PC 10.
What can I say - definitely one of the best models I`ve had a pleasure to build! The CSM has done a great job - everything fits like a charm and the number and the quality of the details is overwhelming! I`ve used mostly the Tamiya and Gunze paints. The rigging is 0,08 and 0,10 fishing line.
I think the pleasure of building the Big Ack can only be compared to WnW for 1/32nd scale builders! I`m glad I have the Late version to build
My model depicts the plane number C.3549 from 35 Sqn RFC from December 1917.

And the regular pictures:

_GOTOTOP