_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tamiya Masking Tape
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:53 AM UTC
I posted a topic a few weeks ago about issues I was having masking my old Monogram F4F canopy. I was given a few suggestions which I am thankful for, but my old eyes and the poor canopy lines still had me frustrated. As a last ditch effort I ordered some Tamiya flexible 2mm tape and I was finally able to mask the canopy close enough for my needs. I built this kit straight out of the box, bare bones, absolutely nothing added. I purchased the kit as a builder kit along with an old Monogram Zero and Mustang. I landed all 3 for around 10.00 straight across the board. I am using these kits to practice my airbrushing technique. I am quite rusty being I haven't built (finished) at kit in well over 2 years. So, I am happy to say I can start painting this old dog, and I also want to give a plug to Tamiya for the great flexible tape.

spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:26 AM UTC
Well, this is been an interesting journey building this old kit. I was all set to start painting today only to discover my Zinc Chromate is no good. I guess it will be next weekend I finally get this thing painted.
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi Kevin.

I am a keen user of Tamiya's flexible masking tape. Your canopy shows just how easy it is to use. I thought it would be difficult to get used to, but it is so 'flexible' that some jobs are done in half the time.

Bad luck withe ZC paint, but I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Karl.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 11:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the tp, I will give this a try
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC
Hi guys, thanks for taking a look. As you can see in the picture of the F4F I was using the standard Tamiya yellow tape and I couldn't get the canopy masked no matter how hard I tried. I simply couldnt move the tape into place very easily. The flexible Tamiya worked extremely well and was actually a breeze to use. It took me all of 20 minutes to get the canopy masked proper.
 _GOTOTOP