Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hurricane W6669 assistance please
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi, In anticipation of the ANZAC campaign I'm researching Geoffrey Simpsons 229sqn Hurricane W6669.
[url=http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/SimpsonGM.htm[/url]
While I've got the aircraft number, I'm struggling to find the aircraft letter and therefore the camo configuration.
If anyone has some other leads I'd be appreciative, as I'd like to do justice to P/O G M Simpson's final ride as much as I can.

thanks and regards.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hi Spud check out this link to a page of RAF Squadron codes, according to the site the code for 229 Squadron is RE and the camo would have been dark earth dark green and sky see this link for the camo. It has a side view of 229 Squadron Hurricane RE Q. I guess the next thing will be to track down which letter W6669 was.

Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 04:28 AM UTC
thanks Chris, I should've been more clear. I had the squadron code, but it's the aircraft letter I'm trying to track down. From what I understand the camo pattern was either pattern A or B depending on the aircraft letter. The report does state that the he was leading Blue Section at the time, but I don't know if that easily equates to a particular letter.

cheers.
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I understand the camo pattern was either pattern A or B depending on the aircraft letter.

cheers.

The 'A' or 'B' scheme is dependent on the Serial Number. Check similar aircraft from this batch as the camouflage pattern changed in a A B A B along the line.
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:36 AM UTC
Karl, thanks for the clarification, there are a few sites that show the production batch and more than a few theories about odd numbers equal pattern A or vise versa. It might be time to flip a coin.
Cheers.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 12:03 PM UTC
Yes the "A" "B" camo, at this time was generally dependent on the serial number; even numbers were in the "A" scheme and odd numbers in the "B" Scheme so W6669 Would have, probably, been painted in the "B" scheme. There were exceptions to this "rule" but generally you can go by this. This idea of "A" and "B" schemes stopped later and every aircraft was painted in the relevant "A" scheme. I think that this was when the camo colours changed to Ocean Grey, Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey. So if you Hurricane is in the Dark Earth Dark Green over Skye camo then the "B" scheme would be appropriate.

Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 04:12 AM UTC
Cheers for that Mal, I was wondering if you had B pattern masks, I usually bodge my own but I might be getting in touch if I go down the Hurricane route (taking into account your recent communications on Miracle Masks work/life balance of course.).

ta.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers for that Mal, I was wondering if you had B pattern masks, I usually bodge my own but I might be getting in touch if I go down the Hurricane route (taking into account your recent communications on Miracle Masks work/life balance of course.).

ta.

No problem.

Although I am giving up the custom mask thing I'm done! ish I will still supply masks that I have on file so, if you, or anyone else would like the camo masks just give me a shout
 _GOTOTOP