_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Killer Egg
b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
AeroScale: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 09:31 AM UTC
Just mopped up my first 1/35 helo. Kit was Dragon's MD 530G MMS. As far as I could tell Afghan National Army is the only user of the 530G, and they do not have the MMSS. SOOOO .... artistic license time! I opted for a fictitious (maybe) ship operated by a clandestine government agency (perhaps) assisting in the anti terrorist operations in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Central Africa .... Camo is ANA. Yellow tail and dog house top are to prevent fratricide by "friendly" fast movers and drone controllers. The MMSS is the same type used on the retired OH-58D. Why let them go to waste? I faired over the rear doors and added cooling vents. Added a couple extra comms antennas, collison beacons (clear on dog house. Red on belly.) Weapons are a .50 Cal. gun pod and a 7 shot Hydra pod (Thanks Gino!!). Also added wire cutters and seat armor plates. Crew is from the MRC OH-58D kit. visors and boom mics were added to the helmets. Right seater had arms and legs repositioned to have him lean forward to reach the control panel. Panel was modified to a modern 2 MFD panel and wiring added to the back. Not visible in any photo is a rack with 2 M-16A1s as personal weapons.

b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 09:37 AM UTC
Oops! Missed one.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 06:08 PM UTC
Very nice. It came out looking great. I am glad the parts worked out well. Great job on the .50 cal pod too.

I also made your pictures bigger so it can show it off nicely. To do so in the future, just delete "thumbs/" from the url and it will show larger.
b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks, Gino. The gun pod is OOB. Painted up Helo Drab, added stencil decals, hit the seams and such with thinner with a hint of flat black, and gave it a wash of way watered down Portland Stone to get the dusty effect. All weathering 101. Thing I have to watch out with is being use to armor and ground vehicles is not to get carried away with the weathering. Gotta get away from the "self propelled mud clod" mentality.
roygdarwin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:23 AM UTC
your build looks great ,did you hand paint the kit ? well done .
b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi, Roy. Yes hand painted. Couple of Lifecolor acrylics (FS30257 yellow earth and FS30117 Red earth ) and MM FS34079 . Not sure if those are the actual FS numbers for the ANA paint job. BUT as athe wise man once said ... close enough for Govt. work.
 _GOTOTOP