_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
More H-60 queries.
b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
AeroScale: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi, All. Have a couple questions regarding the Academy UH-60L. First, rotor blades. My understanding is the blades are carbon fiber with metal lead edges. Photos seem to show them a solid color. Am I missing something or would not the lead edges show a metal finish from wear? Second the engine intakes on the kit seem to be an older style. While the norm seems to be ... What is the difference. (I'm thinking version of engine) And, out side of pitching out $15 to get a replacement sprue fron an MH kit, what otions are there. Also, of a somewhat related nature .... anybody out there happen to have 2X feed chutes and 2X spent shell chutess for 1/35 M134s? (Live Resin sells them in 4 or 5 piece sets of each. Over kill. HINT: MAtbe mold them as a 4 piece set .. 2 feed, 2 spent shells)
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:54 PM UTC
The blades are composite with a metal leading edge cover. They are over painted in a very strong, chip/wear resistant paint and don't often show a metal edge.

The Academy UH-60 kit does not have an older style intake, it is just incomplete. Your second picture shows the correct intake covers as part of the Hover Infra Red Suppression System (HIRSS) exhausts. All HIRSS exhaust equipped US Army and USAF H-60s (pretty much all since the early '90s) have these intake covers. Academy corrected this omission in the later MH-60G and AH-60L kits.
 _GOTOTOP