_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
AH-1W Cockpit (1/35th)
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:18 AM UTC
Here's Verlindens 1/35th AH-1W cockpit for the Academy kit. This is a really nice resin set that is miles ahead of the kit cockpit. It seems to fit OK in the fuselage as well.
The photos are a little off (Man this is small compared to 1/16 and larger). But you get the sense. The one flash photo (instrument detail) is a little stark due to the flash but it shows off some of the detail. A few of the other wider photos give a better idea of the actaul colors.

Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:16 PM UTC
I have the Cobra Company version and compared to that I am impressed. Looks like the gunners cyclic control is a bit big compared to the CC one and his front panel is totally different too. I may pick that one up instead for my next snake.
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
This appears to be a non-NTS bird, I think the Cobra Company one is. How did that cockpit fit?
I'm using 2 Bobs decals on this one for a OEF chopper. We'll see if I ever finish it.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:54 PM UTC
I thought something was a little off when I was looking at that cockpit. I am still currently working on my cobra and I am having MAJOR fit problems with the nose and canopy around the new cockpit. Not only that I was dissapointed in the quality of mine because it seems my cockpit is warped a pretty good amount. If you use one thing as a reference point, like the gunners seat for example, the pilots seat is cocked to the right along with everything behind it. The detail is excellent and wouldnt trade anything for the it but it lacks in quality. Also the directions are a little bland in the way they dont explain how to set up the gunners instrument panel in contrast to the new nose. Hopefully I'll get it worked out in the next year or two #:-)
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:58 PM UTC
Ouch.....
This one is pretty easy so far. I'm always wary of resin replacement cockpits as 9 out of 10 times fit is a major issue. This kit also comes with the correct nose gun chin that has an open bottom and the 20MM gun inside. I had to check my refs to make sure Verlinden got iy right, and they did-- so I guess I learned something from this kit to boot!
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:18 AM UTC
Lord Porky!!!

Man, this is awesome. I really have no critic whatsoever, one thing, is there any clear parts for the HUD for the pilot? seems that there should be a clear thingy on the bracket.

This is looking really good.

And for the record 1/35 is not small, try to do an 48th, now that's small.

Great stuff, I am gonna keep my eyes on this one.

PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:36 AM UTC
Dave:
thanks. I'm having fun with this one.
I added the hud glass last night, it looks much better now!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 07:35 PM UTC
Pork Chop:

The office looks great from what I can see..Very nicely detailed and painted..
Only a heads up for you and Whiskey also..
If you are building the Acadamy kit.. The Canopy fit is nasty. There is a review somewhere I'll try to get the link. Altough the kit is a great build and the detail outstanding. The only real problem is the canopy fit. The review states the the gunners panel is too wide for the canopy.

Zach It may or may not be the conversion set itself.. When I built mine for the WOW Campaign there was about a 1/16 gap between the front canopy frame and nose of the Copter and I was using the kit Cockpit.. I had to sand the dog out of the gunners instrument panel to get it close enough to even think of filling it. Even by doing that there was a gap at the back of the canopy. Luckily it could be hidden with some white glue as a filler and once the frames are painted is looks pretty decent...

Can't wait to see more and hope this babbling helps you out.....

Paul
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:58 AM UTC
hmm looks good Nate, this thread kind of puts me off the C/C update for me but I still have the super coabra special ed by MRC which could benifit from the verlinden set
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:20 PM UTC
Ewww you had trouble with the cockpit and canopy right out of the box Paul? This is not gonna be pretty lol. Thanks for the advice bubba.
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 01:24 AM UTC
I ran a quick test fit when fitting the cockpit tub and it actually seemed to fit ok., no problem fitting over the gunners panel. We'll see if that holds through final construction.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 02:47 AM UTC
Nate:
Hopefully it will work out for ya. The canopy fitting over the Gunners panel is not the real problem, the problem arose when the tub was mounted in the fuselage and the halves where fit togather. When the canopy was placed there was an ugly gap and mismatched angles at the back of it. The Gunners panel problem will show when you try to match the angles at the back.
Hopefully I am wrong and just got a bad one.

That canopy fits so tight that there is hardly any wiggle room at all. That is why I decided to thin the panel down instead of sanding the angles on the canopy itself...

Good Luck with it and I hope it works out... When we gonna see some more pics of this beauty in the making?????

Paul

P.S Here is an atricle you may already have read but it addresses the canopy issue with the conversion set. Hope this helps...

http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/Fea1/701-800/Fea784_Cobra_Taylor/fea784.htm
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 04:19 AM UTC
I hope this works out, can't really fake it with the canopy!!!
I'm working on paiting the fuselage halves now. I need to remix the daker grey in the camo as out of the bottle it's too dark.
 _GOTOTOP