_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Best fitting 1/48 scale kits?
STLDALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:32 AM UTC
So who makes the best fitting kits in this scale?
Tamiya?
I'd like to do a P-51.
Thanks.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So who makes the best fitting kits in this scale?
Tamiya?
I'd like to do a P-51.
Thanks.

You likely can't go wrong with Tamiya - I built their P 51 B in Shangri-La's markings several years ago and don't remember any issues . I can state unequivocally that Tamiya's 1/48 P-47 is the most incredible kit to assemble that I have ever experienced and I've been at it for nearly 60 years . I don't care what your genre is - ships, armor , cars , planes - EVERYONE who builds models of ANY sort should put one of these together for the sheer joy of its fit and engineering.
I have Tamiya's new Ki - 61 Hien in the stash and I am told it is even better than the P-47 - don't see how it could be but I hope so . Try their P-47 - you won't be sorry
Cheers Richard
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:55 AM UTC
Probably not the most detailed,but yes,Tamiya the best fitting.

Hasegawa makes a nice P-51 also
STLDALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:09 AM UTC
Thanks folks.
Being a beginner a good fitting kit is the top priority for me.
What should I use to clamp the main parts together as they dry?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:13 AM UTC
Clamp is too strong a word. I just tape them together with tamiya tape.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:16 AM UTC
Watch this guy: https://youtu.be/OFb6yxoEgcA

I feel he has very good/applicable techniques.

Edit: actually his mustang build is very advanced, watch his vampire build:

https://youtu.be/prPeSlciaLY
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:50 AM UTC
The P-51D kit is the stuff of legends. When I worked in the LHS, it was ALWAYS my go-to recommendation to anyone who wanted to try a Tamiya kit.

You really can't go wrong with any of their 48th scale kits, but I would avoid their much older kits, they're not a true representation of the current Tamiya "shake and bake" kits. (I hate that expression)

It's also the first kit I ever added aftermarket to - the True Details cockpit, fits like a dream, it beautifully detailed and CHEAP.
STLDALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:14 PM UTC
Thanks folks.
Wasnt there a P-51 in an all green paint scheme?
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:26 PM UTC

I always thought the Tamiya P-51 is a terrible choice for a beginner: The split scoop along the bottom runs across at least FIVE panel lines that need to be filled and re-scribed... Get the newer one-piece scoop Meng kit instead, especially with a metal finish, for heaven's sake...

Not only that, but the Tamiya is one of those awful individual prop blade models, which prop blades will inevitably end up crooked all over the place... (The prop's accuracy, and fit(!), are just terrible as well)

And, finally, ultimate nail in the coffin, every single one I have seen built (including by world-acclaimed modellers) is severely lacking in wing dihedral, because the cockpit pieces "fatten" the fuselage and push the wing tips downward... This is sneaky, because you won't notice this test-fitting an empty fuselage...

I am sorry, but recommending this 22 year old junk for a beginner's kit just shows how LOW your standards are, especially in light of newer and far better kits of the very same subject (Meng and Airfix)...

My beginner kit advice would be to first realize that there is no easy aircraft kit. A really good beginner kit would be in my opinion the Hasegawa J2M3, but that is an obscure subject. Another good one would be the Eduard Spitfire Mk IX/VIII (pick the VIII to avoid the very difficult -for me- curved yellow leading edge of RAF markings).

Good Tamiya single engine kits would be the A6M5 Zero and the new Ki-61. The Il-2 is horrible in the accuracy of the canopy, 10% too small in cross-section...

The Meng P-51D is also way up there, and requires no glue (snap assembly) or seam filling for most assemblies, an immense plus. I would say that for these reasons, the Meng P-51D is #1.

Gaston

STLDALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:39 PM UTC
I will check out that Ming.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:40 PM UTC
Wow. Wondered where Gaston had gone. Hasn't changed much, has he?

I think the biggest problem for a beginner with the Tamiya P-51D is the canopy. The clear bubble is seperate from the frame, making gluing them together without leaving an ugly seam a bit of a problem. Use some sort of white glue that doesn't attack the plastic and dries clear (Testors makes a glue specifically for clear parts) and you should be fine.

Don't worry about what Gaston says, he hates everything.

Michael
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the biggest problem for a beginner with the Tamiya P-51D is the canopy. The clear bubble is seperate from the frame, making gluing them together without leaving an ugly seam a bit of a problem. Use some sort of white glue that doesn't attack the plastic and dries clear (Testors makes a glue specifically for clear parts) and you should be fine.

Don't worry about what Gaston says, he hates everything.

Michael

Especially Tamiya products. I loved Tamiyas P-51.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:40 AM UTC
Dale, you will get a different answer from each person, but some great ideas. So far total consensus is that the Tamiya P-51 is the way to go. I also love the ease and then the history that it represents. In the end it is up to you and the choice made, and dont forget to post some photos of your build.

Happy Modeling.

Bob
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:31 AM UTC
Built any kits lately gaston?
STLDALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thanks again folks.
Is there an option for painting the P-51 in all green color scheme?
I am not ready to do a bare metal finish.
Thanks.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 02:13 AM UTC
I think (but it isn't my area of expertise) for USAAF you're going to find the undersides were always bare metal. Many solid green options for the top surfaces though. If you don't want any bare metal then raf mustangs are your way to go.

STLDALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 02:36 AM UTC
I was not aware of that.
Where can I see pics of green Mustang models?
Thanks.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think (but it isn't my area of expertise) for USAAF you're going to find the undersides were always bare metal. Many solid green options for the top surfaces though. If you don't want any bare metal then raf mustangs are your way to go.

Actually, Ray, I'm pretty sure the 357th FG had P-51Ds that were RAF green on top and Medium Sea Grey on the bottom. They liked to camo their airplanes in the summer months and used locally available colors (colours?). I think they also had olive drab over neutral gray as well. A quick Google search on 357th FG P-51D should net you lots of ideas, Dale!

Ain't this a great site!

Michael
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was not aware of that.
Where can I see pics of green Mustang models?
Thanks.

Dale - How about Tamiya's P-51 B ? Here is mine built straight out of the box with the exception of Eduard lap belts/ harness. These are the kit decals as well - some consider them overly thick but I believe most will agree they look fine. Neutral gray undersides and o.d. uppers - seems like just what you want.

Don't let the negative pedantic comments of some dissuade you from having fun - it is, after all, a hobby for most of us - go for it - Richard
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dale - What we're all getting at is that Gaston can and will find an issue with any kit ever made by anyone. Generally we just ignore his opinion on everything around here.

For instance - the Tamiya P-51D does not have individual prop blades it's a one piece unit. Also I would be less concerned about the seam on the rad scoop than the fit of the Meng kit.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:34 PM UTC
here is how my Tamiya P-51 turned out.

The fit was very good, no issues.

Maybe it is not accurate to the last rivet but it looks like a P-51 overall. Don't shy away from NMF, it may look intimidating but with some care, and following the advice you find in buckets on this site, it is just paint like any other :-)
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 05:31 PM UTC
Gaston.

You obviously built a batch or run of Tamiya kits that neither myself nor 99% of other modellers ever built! Or alternatively perhaps, you just have an irrational hatred of Tamiya products or are mischievously just trying to provoke a reaction?

There is no such thing as the 'perfect' model due to scale issues (cockpits being a prime example of impossible to replicate in true scale) but for sheer building pleasure and the end result, their P-51 was a dream to build; wheel bay accuracy 'issues' and all.

On another level again, their 1/48 P-47's are pretty much perfection in a box in terms of compromise of detail, fit and price.

Gary
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gaston.

... are mischievously just trying to provoke a reaction?

And he very much reached his objective
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:04 PM UTC
Another easy build are the newer 109 F/G kits from Eduard.
Mould is exquisite and it fits like a glove if you follow the instructions cleaverly. No putty needed

Still any Tamiya kit is a breeze to build....I loved building their F4F Wildcat for instance.

raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:20 PM UTC
Agree on the f4f, easily the most straightforward quarterscale kit I've ever done. Absolute cake. And with lots of easy blue all over paint schemes.
 _GOTOTOP