_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Need Advice on Camouflage F-4 SEA Colors
trucolorpaint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 02:31 AM UTC
Maybe I should have had the title of my thread as above: Need Advice on how to paint the camo colors on F-4C Phantoms in the SEA color schemes. Any input would help. On another forum some modelers suggested silly putty for masking - any experience with this method from you ?

First let me say I have not put together a model for nearly 50+ years - yes, I did not stutter !

I decided to do 3 F-4C Phantom (Monogram kits) jets to show off our new military paint line. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The wings, cockpit and fuselage are built. Painted the cockpit and figures OK, also the wheels, struts and other small parts and rockets. Assembled the cockpit into fuselage. Cleaned up the seams. Now ready for painting.

The underside is straight forward - seems to be all a single color for the SEA schemes (2 different schemes I am doing). It is the wing tops and fuselage that is daunting. Masks were bought from Gator's Studio. This is where I am stuck ! Should I trace the masks on masking paper, cut them out and use them on the model ? Has anyone ever reused masks for multiple models ? I have 3 to do.

Any advice would help gang. I can tell you right now, none of these models are going to win prizes in any show, unless it is a show for 7 and under age group ! Just because I have a PhD does not mean I can model !

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

PS - Building a ship when I was 10 seems to have been a hell of a lot easier. I know it had less pieces (in 1955 !).
baldwin8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 06:43 PM UTC
I am not familiar with the masks you are talking about but have done this scheme in the past and for it is one of the more difficult if you want feathered edges.

The trouble with masks is that sometimes they get knocked around and moved when handling to paint the different areas. It may be best to paint the tans color, let's say, in two or three sessions. Are you looking for a feathered edge? I'm using a tacky putty used for hanging pictures and such. It works well and is rolled out, cut and applied on the edges of the boundary of each color. It will give a fine feathered edge and cant be reused but will slowly lose it's tackiness.

There was a recent video uploaded about someone showing using paper masks but looks like a lot of prep work. Sorry I'm don't remember his name or link.
trucolorpaint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 10:58 AM UTC
I have a lot of different techniques to try from the feedback on my threads about the SEA painting. I know I'm going to try 2 or 3 of them and see which gives the best results with as little paint for me to do.

I'm definitely a novice at this thing, so I appreciate all the advice on getting this project done and looking half way decent.

Thank you all for your help.

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
 _GOTOTOP