_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
F-106 At Ellsworth AFB?
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:22 PM UTC
Can anybody else who is using Apple Maps on iOS (only got it confirmed for iOS 11) take a look at Ellsworth AFB? To help home in a little, one of the auto-complete options that comes up once you've typed in Ellsworth AFB is the Commissary at 2649 Lemay Blvd.

South of Lemay Blvd is Tinker Dr. South of that is a large brown hanger. South of that is an area of flight line where a number of aircraft are sitting. There are a couple of B-1Bs as you'd expect at Ellsworth, there's a couple of F-15s at the SE of the area, and what looks like an MQ-9 Reaper in the corner.

Between one of the B-1Bs and the MQ-9 is an aircraft that looks for all the world like an F-106. The shadow of it (which seems to show opened cockpits) suggests maybe it's an F-106B.

Are there any airworthy F-106s left? I thought they were all history. Does anybody know the story of how it came to be there? A big of Googling returned a story or two about people trying to get one of the last airframes flyable in 2005 or so, but nothing later.

Oddly, viewing the same area in Apple Maps on a Mac shows no planes at all in that area, which suggests that they're using different satellite imagery datasets.

Anybody know?

Al
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:35 AM UTC
There was at least one NASA F106B flying as of about five years ago, not sure if it's still flying-- maybe at Elsworth for a stopover? The F106 and F102 are a couple of my favorite Aircraft-- I have two F106s in the stash, and have photographed the Mchord bird extensively.
VR? Russ
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hmm, that actually seems like it may well be the answer - NASA's site has a page on the F-106 (which is being used for lightning research, I believe) that indicates they still have the F-106B at Langley and the page has a most recent update date in August this year, so it's contemporary. Dropping in at Ellsworth either as a stopover or for the annual open day (which I assume they still have) doesn't seem to stretch credulity at all. Just knowing there's an airworthy F-10
6B out there makes it a lot less of a mystery.

Thanks,

Al
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 05:30 AM UTC
Yes, NASA has several "retired" USAF aircraft they still fly-- I think the NASA F-104s are retired now, but they fly the 106B, and the F-18 for research--they will probably be flying them for quite a while longer.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP