_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
4 1/48 models finished for Scale Wodelworld.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:16 PM UTC
I have recently finished 4 models for the Scale Modelworld (SMW) show which is held every year at the Telford International Centre (TIC), Telford, every year over the remembrance week end. It is, probably, the largest model show in the world. I spend the week end there with my club, IPMS Kitmaker (see us in hall 2, 2G). We are an online club so only get to meet one another at shows. As I now live in Cornwall I only really get to see the guys and gals at this show and we make a week end of it, so it is quite a big deal.

Our theme for the show is always the same, "something that has been built over the year since the last show". That keeps the tables fresh for each year and we often put an extra spin on it. This year it is "Comic books", so we will have covers from the likes of "Commando" which show a representation of the models on display

I have been aiming to get 5 models completed and I have one that hasn't been shown before. Yesterday I finished 4 of those models, the 5th is aimed at the competition and will be finished over the next couple of days, just in time before I leave on Friday.
The four models shown here are all Airfix 1/48, apart from the Bf109E which is Tamiya. The advent of the new tool Airfix 1/48 and 1/72 scale models has brought me back to those scales, so very well done Airfix, the models are very well done, I hope that I have done them justice.

All of the markings on all of these, and all models that I build, are painted on, the only decals are the tiny stencil data ones.

Spitfire Mk1, K9998 QJ-K, flown by Geoffrey Wellum, the youngest pilot to fly Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. This aircraft was the 211th Spitfire built from the initial order of 212. As such it still retained some early equipment, such as the pump up undercarriage mechanism and the pole type antenna. It also didn't have any IFF wires. I know this from talking to the pilot himself, who lives just up the road from me

Hurricane Mk1, P3576 GN-A, flown by James Nicholson, the only RAF Fighter Pilot to win the Victoria Cross (VC) during WWII. With new information about the devil art work on his aircraft this just had to be built, it is also painted on

BP Defiant L7006 PS-X Flown by Barwell? I don't know the gunners name There is a lot of confusion of serial and code allocation with the Defiant. But the markings on this model are correct for this serial number and are based on good photos, including the unusual orientation of the gas detection patch.

Messerschmitt Bf 109E W.Nr.4010 of 5./JG53 blue 12. Attempted crash landing t Smeeth Railway Station, Kent, on 23 November 1940, but flew through some tress and removed both wings. Pilot Lt Otto Zauner was captured.

I have also almost finished the Airfix 1/48 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk in AVG markings, I aim to post pictures tomorrow
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:07 PM UTC
Mal,

Fantastic models, impeccably painted and assembled from what the photos show. The defiant is an eye catcher indeed.
Are they all from Airfix then? They look very good indeed. The only one of these I’ve built was the Emil 109 in the quarter scale. Are those all 1/48.
Please post the p-40 also

Cheers
Pedro
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:15 PM UTC
Very nice models.

I am especially fond of that Defiant!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic models, impeccably painted and assembled from what the photos show. The defiant is an eye catcher indeed.
Are they all from Airfix then? They look very good indeed. The only one of these I’ve built was the Emil 109 in the quarter scale. Are those all 1/48.
Please post the p-40 also

Thanks Pedro
yep they are all Airfix 1/48, apart from the Bf109E which is Tamiya.

I have just fitted the wing guns and the side glazing to the P-40, so just the antenna wire and the prop and that will be done, so I hope to post pics later today or tomorrow

Quoted Text

Very nice models.

I am especially fond of that Defiant!

Thanks Drabslab, I quite like the defiant also
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:07 PM UTC
Mal, it is great to see you getting some quality building time. I know that has been a struggle for you in the past due to work and other duties. The aircraft look great! I really like how both the Spitfire and the Hurricane look, used but not abused, very nice!

Ernest
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:26 PM UTC
Thanks Ernest I like this look, not the most technical nor "advanced" in terms of finish but the move towards weathering every model very heavily just doesn't float my boat. Sure it shows off technical painting skills but it almost always inappropriate? That look though is what sells books and wins shows, at the moment
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 02:47 AM UTC
Mal,
A most impressive set of completed 1/48 scale models. Too bad I live on the other side of the pond, so attending the show really isn't something I could eve pull off.

Joel
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
Mal,

these are really four great gems! These will truly be an eyecatcher of the show!

Thank´s for sharing and have fun on the show!

Oliver
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 03:59 AM UTC
Fantastic as always Mal.

Now show us how you pack them for transport! I love seeing the creative ways people bring their kits to shows.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:13 AM UTC
Love the Spitfire Mal , all of them turn out fantastic ! Have fun at the show

Terri
 _GOTOTOP