Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC
As promised I have added the Dark green to my Hasegawa Spitfire Mk Vb. I used Xtracolor but thinned with cellulose thinner rather than the recomended white spirit. Doing this makes the paint dry in under 24 hours, rather than a week, when white spirit is used. If you try this don't spray paint, thinned with cellulose thinner, directly onto plastic, it will probably eat it.
The masking has been removed as well.

Just gotta love them Spits
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Mal

She's lookin' good! As you said before, I think it's an (over)exposure problem that's hiding your pre-shading... what happens if you photograph the kit against a darker background?

Re- the Xtracolors - have you tracked down any Rustin's "Driers" (Terebene)? You alerted me to this stuff and it really does speed up drying-speed for Xtracolor paints. I'll be using it on my PR Spit. I can send you a bottle if you want.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Mal

The picture's cr*p!, but the important thing is... it was taken 2 hours after a coat of Xtracolour... thinned with Rustin's Driers!

With anything else, I'd have waited another 12 hours (at least!) before I dared touch it!...

Cheers for the pointer

Rowan

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC
Is that freehand or did you use a mask? Looks good, Looking forward to seeing it when completed, Wingman out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:56 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

She's lookin' good! As you said before, I think it's an (over)exposure problem that's hiding your pre-shading... what happens if you photograph the kit against a darker background? Merlin

I'll try that, Rowan, it might help. The real problem is the light in my spray booth. I can't see properly, when to stop adding paint, so I'm losing the effect. It is true though that the pre-shading effect shows on the model (in the Ocean Grey anyway) but not in the pics, so I'll try a darker background. (Mutter, mutter, mutter............after me getting hold of a nice piece of white material...........mutter, mutter #:-) )

Quoted Text

Re- the Xtracolors - have you tracked down any Rustin's "Driers" (Terebene)? You alerted me to this stuff and it really does speed up drying-speed for Xtracolor paints. I'll be using it on my PR Spit. I can send you a bottle if you want. Merlin

No, mate I haven't been able to find it, yet, do you use it with white spirit? I'm quite pleased with the cellulose thinner, but it's greatly more expensive than white spirit. I've now solved that problem though, as I use it when spraying in my new job :-) and I can buy a litre for a fraction of tha price it would normally cost me, same with Isopropynol :-) Thanks for the offer, but as I couldn't, at the moment, return the favour, I will decline I will find it, eventually. Where did you say you got it? Pic looks good to me, paint looks nice and smooth. one benefit of fast drying paint, less chance for bits to get embedded in it.

Quoted Text

Is that freehand or did you use a mask? Looks good, Looking forward to seeing it when completed, Wingman out.

It's freehand, I used my new double action airbrush. I struggled a little, as I'm still getting used to it, but I'm quite pleased with the results :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP