_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
MH53 upgrade kit
SF-07-18D
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hi!

I've just bought an Italeri MH-53J kit, 1/72, and I'd like to ask you if you know some upgrade kit to convert it to a M (Pave Low IV) version.

I'd like to build some of the last over Iraq.

Thanks is advance!!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 09:43 PM UTC
I don't think there is a 1/72 Pave Low IV conversion set. I have seen a couple conversion sets for the Revell 1/48th scale CH-53D kit for a Pave Low III, but nothing in 1/72.

Based on these fueatures:

MH-53M Pavelow IV:
The Pavelow IV is an upgraded III, with a number of improved features:
IDAS/MATT
improved defensive aids and sensors package allows the Pavelow IV to detect threats from over the horizon, using data other assets supplied over a secure network
digital map display

Most seem to be the sponson-top sensors and internal upgrades. It shouldn't be too hard to update.

MH-53M Pave Low IV

SF-07-18D
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 12:11 AM UTC
Thanks Gino.

I've found this same info in americanspecialops.com too.

I've found some photoetches from Eduard, but I'm not 100% sure if it would fit. It's described as MH53E Sea Dragon, so I guess it wouldn'f fit.

I'll try to find more info about IDAS/MATT to see the differences.

Thanks again!
SF-07-18D
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hi again!

I´d like to ask you if some of you know if the Eduard´s exterior photoetches (are for a MH53E) would be valid for the J/M version. At least the belly and cargo bay photoetches. I know that cockpit parts would not be valid for the J/M.

This pic is from the Eduard page and shows a E version

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!
SF-07-18D
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hi gents!

I retake this post because I´m gonna start with this bird but first I´d like to confirm the color for a USAF scheme. I think it´s Gunship Grey (same as HH-60G, Hercs and F15E) but I´m not 100% sure.

Any info about it?

Thanks!!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 09:50 PM UTC
Yes the USAF color is actually called AFSOC (Air Force Special Operations Command) Gray, but the closest model color is Gunship Gray.
SF-07-18D
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes the USAF color is actually called AFSOC (Air Force Special Operations Command) Gray, but the closest model color is Gunship Gray.

Thanks Gino!
hawg53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 06:34 PM UTC
The Italeri Pave Low kit has a number of problems. The tail rotor is backwards. The bottom blade moves towards the ramp in the real H-53. The biggest problem with the kit is the main rotor blades. They are the wrong type. The kit blades are the original aluminum blades used on the early HH and CH-53s. The blades for a Pave Low should be titanium. The blade’s shape is different. The only big difference between a MH-53J and a MH-53M is the cockpit instrument panel. Please don’t confuse a MH-53J/M with a CH-53E or MH-53E. They are totally different helicopters. Any conversion parts for the “E” model helicopters will not work on a “J/M” model helicopters.
SF-07-18D
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Italeri Pave Low kit has a number of problems. The tail rotor is backwards. The bottom blade moves towards the ramp in the real H-53. The biggest problem with the kit is the main rotor blades. They are the wrong type. The kit blades are the original aluminum blades used on the early HH and CH-53s. The blades for a Pave Low should be titanium. The blade’s shape is different. The only big difference between a MH-53J and a MH-53M is the cockpit instrument panel. Please don’t confuse a MH-53J/M with a CH-53E or MH-53E. They are totally different helicopters. Any conversion parts for the “E” model helicopters will not work on a “J/M” model helicopters.

Hi Robert!!

Very useful info, thank you very much!

That´s the reason I asked about the Eduard PE kit, I wasn´t sure it would work for the J version.

I think that I´m gonna make the heli "out of the box" because I can´t find any aftermarket pieces for it, so I´ll try to scrath what I could.

I´m already with it and I´ll make a maintenance scene despite the model is not very accurate as you say. Maybe I can remove the blades and lay them over a rack......

Thanks again for the useful info!!
 _GOTOTOP