_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F/A-18F Super Hornet, Revell, 1:72
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2017 - 07:07 PM UTC
Hello folks!
And now for something completely different. Modern jets, especially US, is not my usual comfort zone. This one had to be a rather straightforward out of box build with just few easy improvements and attractive painting scheme. Revell's Jolly Roger seemed to be matching all criteria. When it had landed on my workbench it occured it is rather difficult to build with complicated assembly of the all nose section (four parts with fitting problems), air intakes and fuselage main parts. There were large sink marks, wide and deep joint lines needing filling and sanding and a lot of rescribing of panels lines. It is buildable however for sure not four kids or inexperienced modellers.

For the painting process I have used for the first time the black basing technique. It's very promising but you must know what you want to achieve and where to stop. As I'm less than begginer in modern NAVY colours I think the painting is uneven and colours could be much better matched with real colours, despite using dedicated GS colours provided in the kit instruction.

All in all, here's the final result with four pics depicting assembled model just before priming.

Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 12:12 AM UTC
Mecenas: Congrats to Your build. The Hornet looks really nice. I did not try black basing until now, but the results You have achieved are more than convincing. I will have to give this a try, too! Thank You very much for sharing!

Oliver
 _GOTOTOP