_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Alclad metal's and decals ........
swede82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:30 AM UTC
Would like to hear others experience with decaling over Alclad metal paints...ie...polished aluminum, aluminum, stainless, etc.. Appreciate any info ......
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:01 AM UTC
I've never had a problem decaling over Alclad. But, you might consider the solvent you use for decal settting. At one point a few years ago, I was using Solvaset on some decals going over Alclad. I noticed a white residue around the decal when it dried. I used a Q-tip with some alcohol to remove the residue, only to find it left streaks on the Alclad finish. I overcoated with Alclad clear gloss, and the streaks disappeared. So you might want to experiment with your decal solvent a little. Alclad dries hard and glossy though so it makes a perfect base for decals-- just make sure you trim the decals closely so no unwanted decal film shows.
VR, Russ
swede82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:34 PM UTC
Russ, Excellent! I was hoping the finish would allow me to decal without using the typical expedient of using clear gloss for the decals, as Alclad's clear still seems to change the look, the sheen of the paint. Appreciate your getting back with me on this .......Have a great New Year !!! Swede
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 11:15 PM UTC
Howard,
I've decaled directly over Alcad2 without any issues. The only decal solutions I used then were the Micro system, which worked fine. I did seal the deals with Testors Model Master's Metalizer sealer.

Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 04:36 AM UTC
I've never had a problem.
swede82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 12:06 AM UTC
Joel, did you see any loss of the luster from the paint overs praying with the clear??
 _GOTOTOP