_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Need help choosing a shade of silver.
TopSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 03:33 AM UTC
I need some advice on the color "sliver". I know this is sort of off topic but I figured the aircraft guys have silver figured out by now. I am painting a Porsche GT car from the Flying Lizard race team. The car is red and silver. There are 100 shades of silver out there. I need one that is tough( going on a slotcar body, not lexan) and not a gray looking silver like silver leaf. I am looking for a shade that is not chromeish but is closer to white than gray. I have red decals and red on grayish silver looses its punch. I want the red to stand out.

Thoughts?
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:50 AM UTC
How about this?

Tamiya rattle can TS-17 Gloss Aluminum,
photographed in direct sunlight.
There is nothing tougher than Tamiya spray enamels.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:49 AM UTC
I second Jonathan on that one! Tamiya rattle cans is the way to go!

Dunk the can in hot tap water (NOT boiling water from the kettle!) for ten minutes before painting and they will go on beautifully!

Have you tried Tamiyas "Silver Leaf" already? If you find it a bit grey, it might help if you lay it over a white primer, Tamiya's own "Fine White" is perfect for that!

This one is TS-30 with the red in the insignias a very clear, bright red while the red on the wing tips is a darker red. It is difficult to judge paint from photos but I hope it at least helps a bit !

Magnus
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 10:05 PM UTC
I too like Tamiya rattle can Aluminum, but it's more for bare Aluminum than "silver" paint. If I'm going to airbrush, my favorite is Floquil Bright Silver, or Floquil Old Silver. Since Testors bought Floquil out, a really close match is the old square bottle Testor's Silver. We used to sell Floquil at the LHS where I worked (Discount Models in UP) so I bought every bottle we had to stock up before we closed up shop. You can still find Floquil at some on-line shops occasionally. If you can't find it, PM me and maybe we can work something out.
VR, Russ
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I need some advice on the color "sliver". I know this is sort of off topic but I figured the aircraft guys have silver figured out by now. I am painting a Porsche GT car from the Flying Lizard race team. The car is red and silver. There are 100 shades of silver out there. I need one that is tough( going on a slotcar body, not lexan) and not a gray looking silver like silver leaf. I am looking for a shade that is not chromeish but is closer to white than gray. I have red decals and red on grayish silver looses its punch. I want the red to stand out.

Thoughts?

This sounds a bit like Alclad II "white aluminium" to me

_GOTOTOP